BUILD Another build for backing up a freenas server

Status
Not open for further replies.

france1967

Dabbler
Thanks to this forum my freenas server is on and working great. ups too :)
x10sl7-f
e3 1230 v3
8x wd red 4 tb

Here I'm doing some burn-in test

Reading around here I realized that my data are still not safe. I have about 9 tb of data at the moment, of which more than 4 Tb of flac music files ripped by myself (20,000 cd's) and I'm really afraid of losing almost 10 years of hard work...
So I'm thinking about backing up data to another freenas server
I will use this new machine ONLY for backing up the main one, so I thought about this configuration:
x10slm-f
pentium g3220
8gb (2x4) crucial ecc 1,35
6x wd red 3 Tb
psu corsair rm 650 or cx 430
I have already everything except mother board and ram

Do you think that it's ok for this purpose?
cpu too slow? not enough memory?

I would like to switch on this machine when I want and the backup start automatically.
which is the best way to do that? rsync over ssh or rsync module? Or something else?
Anyone can recommend a link about this?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• mynas1.JPG
    mynas1.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 327

ALFA

Explorer
I think more ram couldn't hurt, 16 gbs look like the sweet spot for most of the home users and maybe you could go with the Seasonic g-series for the PSU. Everything else looks fine to me.

france1967

Dabbler
I know that 16 gb ram would be much better, but i was wondering if 8 gb and the g3220 could be ok just for backing up once a week

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I know that 16 gb ram would be much better, but i was wondering if 8 gb and the g3220 could be ok just for backing up once a week

The processor will do fine. 8GB of RAM might be fine, but please buy a single 8GB DIMM, as it will make your life easier if 8GB aren't enough.

france1967

Dabbler
Hi Eric
ok for the ram
What about the motherboard? great difference between x10slm-f and x10slm+-f in this case?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hi Eric
ok for the ram
What about the motherboard? great difference between x10slm-f and x10slm+-f in this case?

The + has better guarantees of working with Crucial RAM and you get dual i210 GbE controllers instead of an i210 and an i217 (which is just a PHY for the PCH's GbE controller). Additionally, two USB 3.0 ports are relocated from a header to the back panel.

AlainD

Contributor

Reading around here I realized that my data are still not safe. I have about 9 tb of data at the moment, of which more than 4 Tb of flac music files ripped by myself (20,000 cd's) and I'm really afraid of losing almost 10 years of hard work...
So I'm thinking about backing up data to another freenas server

Hi for archiving flacs I would think about some "simple" disks where the files are writen to and using hashdeep to verify the files from time to time (every 6months or every year). Using two of them stored off site would give quite some peace of mind.

Generate the hashes at start and veriy those every time.

BTW. Keeping you're backup server inside the same premises is a risk.

msbxa

Contributor
Hi,
In relate to backup of your existing FreeNAS server, why people don't use tapes instead of building another freeNAS server as a backup?
If I can't afford to build another FreeNAS server for backup any other way to backup?

Z300M

Guru
Hi,
In relate to backup of your existing FreeNAS server, why people don't use tapes instead of building another freeNAS server as a backup?
If I can't afford to build another FreeNAS server for backup any other way to backup?
Tape systems with sufficient capacity and speed aren't cheap -- even used ones

msbxa

Contributor
One more question but this time about selecting a CPU. Z300M you have selected the Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 on your freeNAS server while Ericloewe selected i3-4330. Can anyone of you guys elaborate more into your selection.

I am planing to build my own freeNAS with the same spec as Z300M without EXSI 5.5 vm and only to use for backup, streaming and installing some few of jails.

Z300M

Guru
One more question but this time about selecting a CPU. Z300M you have selected the Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 on your freeNAS server while Ericloewe selected i3-4330. Can anyone of you guys elaborate more into your selection.

I am planing to build my own freeNAS with the same spec as Z300M without EXSI 5.5 vm and only to use for backup, streaming and installing some few of jails.
I chose the Xeon because I didn't want to buy something less powerful and then perhaps have to buy another CPU after all.

At present my FreeNAS system is my backup system for the most part. It replaced a DDS4 autoloader to store backups of files from several other machines. It also runs Logitech Media Server, but all those media files are also on the Windows machine I used to rip my CD collection in the first place.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The i3 is plenty if you won't be doing anything complex, like transcoding. For transcoding or other resource-heavy tasks, the Xeons are a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.