Announcing TrueCommand

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Please see if that provides an easier way to see the status of your storage pool(s) with hundreds of drives.
Can't test it because it is limited to 50 drives and it needs 11.2 and I am still using 11.1-U7. I might be able to setup a test environment. We have a new 60 drive server scheduled for delivery, but I don't have a firm date. I could put 11.2 on it for burn-in and testing.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
50 total (across all systems)
Is it counting data drives only or do the boot drives and SLOG / L2ARC drives count against that number? Will this preview version even look at a system that has more drives than 50 or will it just show the first 50 drives?

kenmoore

TrueCommand Project Lead
iXsystems
You can register a single system with more than 50 drives just fine. The license limitation will just prevent you from registering any more until you get an enhanced license, meaning you will lose out on the multi-system functionality.

Since we know that disks per system is not an incremental type of statistic, TrueCommand will let you register and connect to NAS's until you reach/exceed the disk number. If you happen to have more systems pending once you reach the limit, then it will simply stop connecting to any new NAS's but will still provide full functionality for the systems that you *did* connect.

kenmoore

TrueCommand Project Lead
iXsystems
The number of disks per system used in the license checks includes all drives available/used for the storage pools (including L2ARC and SLOG), but excludes boot device(s) for the NAS itself.

Yorick

Wizard
First attempt to download didn't kick off a download but did get me to the getting started page. Maybe because cookie consent hadn't been set yet? Second attempt, after clicking through consent form on getting started page during first attempt, worked.

CaraquetFlyer

Dabbler
Maybe because cookie consent hadn't been set yet? Second attempt, after clicking through consent form on getting started page during first attempt, worked.

Seems that It was the same thing for me. Accepting the cookie seems to loop around the download link so I had to tried again and second time was working.

Brezlord

Contributor
The download keeps failing at 525MB or it fails to start. Browser reports network error. Any one else have this issue?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Looks fantastic, one more step to replace vSphere some day.

But guys ... the installation instructions - seriously? VirtualBox, ESXi ... no bhyve/FreeNAS? I will figure it out, probably. But still - what else would be the virtualisation platform of choice?

Kind regards,
Patrick

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
So ...
  • New VM
  • 1 core
  • 8 GB memory
  • 80 GB disk
  • virtio disk
  • virtio network
  • VNC 1024x768 (FreeNAS default)
Boot, beasty menue, some kernel messages, then blank screen with a cursor top left and no more progress ...

Any hints welcome.

Thanks!
Patrick

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Serial console works as the gods of Unix intended ... ;)

Patrick

kenmoore

TrueCommand Project Lead
iXsystems
@Patrick M. Hausen
It is generally not recommended to run your NAS-monitoring system within a VM on your NAS itself - hence why we don't give instructions for that.

As far as bhyve goes, I have heard that serial console is much more reliable than VNC but I have never tried it out myself. Seems like your experience would back up that statement though... ;-)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Short summary for the people who know this stuff:
  1. Create VM without VNC and use serial console
  2. Use installer as intended
  3. Power off
  4. Remove CD-ROM device
  5. The interesting part ...
Code:
dd if=/dev/zvol/zfs/vm/truecommand-disk0 of=/mnt/zfs/bla bs=1m
mdconfig -a /mnt/zfs/bla
mkdir /mnt/bla
mount -t msdosfs /dev/md0p1 /mnt/bla
cd /mnt/bla/EFI/BOOT
cp BOOTX64-TRUEOS.EFI BOOTX64.EFI
cd
umount /mnt/bla
rmdir /mnt/bla
mdconfig -d -u 0
dd if=/mnt/zfs/bla of=/dev/zvol/zfs/vm/truecommand-disk0 bs=1m

6. Start VM
7. Enjoy ...

The installer does not create an EFI loader that bhyve recognizes, hence the commands above. If I'm not mistaken the "dance" with dd should not be necessary, but I could not find a way to directly access the partitions inside /dev/zvol/truecommand-disk0 even with volmode=geom set.

HTH,
Patrick

danb35

Hall of Famer

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
* It runs
* It produces graphs
* But it doesn't do much ...

From the blog post and the feature list I got the impression that it was supposed to be a management interface? I.e. provision new datasets, VMs, create snapshots, roll back snapshots, change configuration of VMs ... stuff like that.

What am I missing?

Kind regards,
Patrick

kenmoore

TrueCommand Project Lead
iXsystems
TrueCommand is a management interface for the team/fleet - not a replacement for individual NAS UI. If you only have one system administrator and/or one NAS, then TrueCommand will probably not be your cup of tea. The moment you start having a bunch of NAS's or a team of system administrators, that is where TrueCommand shines by streamlining basic operations and providing audit mechanisms.

The first phase of TrueCommand is mostly statistics/reporting in additional to all the multi-user, multi-NAS functionality. In future development phases we are planning to start bringing more cross-NAS interoperability and control into TrueCommand as well - things which cannot be done by a single NAS very easily (if at all).

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I am specifically testing it because of the multi administrator part. It is not very useful for us if said administrators cannot create VMs. I was hoping for something like vCenter when I read the announcement ...

Kind regards,
Patrick

Scharbag

Guru
Installed it on an ESXi VM. Some functions work but it just spins and says "Fetching Data" on the bottom half of the right hand pane for the Metrics and Storage tabs. So, I am not really sure what it is trying to tell me.

Tried both Chrome and Safari browsers.

The "Reporting" tab is also not working as it just spins with a "Please Wait" graphic.

Cheers,

sretalla