An error occurred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn

Cadet
Hello, I've seen a few threads with similar errors, but I haven't really seen a fix for them.

This is what I get:
An error occurred.

Sorry, the page you are looking for is currently unavailable.
Please try again later.

If you are the system administrator of this resource then you should check theerror log for details.
Faithfully yours, nginx.

The best I could find was to restore a configuration file, but I've never backed anything up, nor do I really know what a configuration file really is. I'm able to access my shares via afp, plex media server works just fine, so I think the issue is simply the web interface. I was planning on adding some more drives this morning, but I can't get into the interface.

If I wipe my usb drive and put FreeNas on it again, will I lose everything I currently have on those drives? I thought I was doing the right thing by creating a NAS box with RAID so I have redundancy, but if there's something else I should be doing please let me know.

The FreeNas box is currently a headless unit out in my garage, but if I need to I can bring a keyboard and monitor out there to get whatever I'd need.

Thanks in advance.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok.. no hardware specs, no version, nothing to go on.

Please give the forum rules a read and provide something to go on besides "my stuff doesn't work".

gpsguy

You won't lose your data, but without the configuration file, you'd need to reconfigure all your settings, shares, etc.

The configuration file is stored on your boot device, typically a USB flash drive. One can back up (or restore) the file using the GUI.

I'd reinstall the same version of FreeNAS on a different 4Gb flash drive. While you config file might be corrupt, you could try to rescue it. Can you access the box via SSH? If not, hook up the monitor and keyboard and see if you can access the console. If you can, you could try copying /data/freenas-v1.db to your AFP share (somewhere under /mnt) and grab it using your Mac.

If I wipe my usb drive and put FreeNas on it again, will I lose everything I currently have on those drives?

Shawn

Cadet
Thank you very much gpsguy, I'm going to try that. I never set up SSH. I simply set up some shares and plex. I just got started on this thing and copied my media library over. That's the only thing I have on this box so far. I do have one question though, since it's on a USB drive, can I just plug that into another computer and snag it?

Cyberjock, you have my apologies. I didn't think hardware would come into play here.

MSI H81M Motherboard
Intel Pentium G3220 Haswell 3.0 GHZ
G.Skill Ripjaws series 4GB Ram X2

3xWD Green 2TB Sata Hard drives. 1 WD 1TB Sata

As far as the version, it's 9.2.1.2 64 bit

I'm unsure of what else I can provide, but please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for your understanding, I'm doing my best here as a newbie.

gpsguy

One thing I forgot to (explicitly) say, is that if you manage to rescue the configuration file, use the GUI to restore it.

BTW a patch was released today for 9.2.1.2. See message #15 in this thread.

Shawn

Cadet
One thing I forgot to (explicitly) say, is that if you manage to rescue the configuration file, use the GUI to restore it.

BTW a patch was released today for 9.2.1.2. See message #15 in this thread.

Thank you! Can I grab the file from just plugging the USB flash drive into another computer?

Also, can you tell me where I would type this in (sorry, TOTAL newbie here): # service django restart

gpsguy

Assuming you've hooked up the monitor and keyboard to the server, select item #11 (Shell) from the console menu. Enter the command there.

If you plug the flash drive into another machine, the host OS needs to be able to recognize UFS. The file should be in the root directory of the 4th partition.

Shawn

Cadet
WOW!! I just turned off the machine, then turned it back on and it worked. I feel like a fool, but at least my issue is solved. I'm now going to create a backup of my config file.

gpsguy

Glad to hear you got your problem resolved.

Since you're running it headless out in the garage, I'd configure SSH on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.