AMD Ryzen temperature monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

anderstn

Dabbler
Hi

For the sake og debugging a problem I want to monitor the temperatures of my Ryzen CPU. This means compiling and loading a version of amdtemp that works with Ryzen. I have found plenty of people online who have made a working version for FreeBSD (https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=218264), but I don't know where to download them or what the correct procedure is with respect to loading it on FreeNAS. Compiling it looks straightforward as it is just a single C file.

NB: Sorry if this question is posted in the wrong forum, but I figured this was more of a hardware related question than a "can you help me" sort of thing. If it's wrong just move the thread or delete it and let me know where to re-post it :)

anderstn

Dabbler
I'll make a suggestion there. Still your sort of missing the point. Appliance or not FreeNAS is a FreeBSD distro and I'm only trying to load a kernel module that reads information from temperature sensors. My question is really where do I put the module and do I load it just as you would load any other kernel module? If somebody knows if there is some sort of central repository I can download it from, either as as code or pre-compiled, that would be nice although I don't suspect one exists.

m0nkey_

MVP
Appliance or not FreeNAS is a FreeBSD distro and I'm only trying to load a kernel module that reads information from temperature sensors.
Yes and no. While it is FreeBSD under the hood, majority of the system files, including kernel and it's modules are updated with each FreeNAS update. If you make changes to your system then in the next update (sometimes next boot) you will lose the changes. You cannot treat FreeNAS like a traditional FreeBSD distribution.

The only way to inject new kernel modules is to pull down the FreeNAS source code and roll your own ISO.

anderstn

Dabbler
Yes and no. While it is FreeBSD under the hood, majority of the system files, including kernel and it's modules are updated with each FreeNAS update. If you make changes to your system then in the next update (sometimes next boot) you will lose the changes. You cannot treat FreeNAS like a traditional FreeBSD distribution.

The only way to inject new kernel modules is to pull down the FreeNAS source code and roll your own ISO.

So FreeNAS uses no kernel modules that loads at run-time at all?

cchr82

Dabbler
I'll make a suggestion there. Still your sort of missing the point. Appliance or not FreeNAS is a FreeBSD distro and I'm only trying to load a kernel module that reads information from temperature sensors. My question is really where do I put the module and do I load it just as you would load any other kernel module? If somebody knows if there is some sort of central repository I can download it from, either as as code or pre-compiled, that would be nice although I don't suspect one exists.

Anderstn, did you ever end up being able to solve this issue on freenas? I am considering trying out FreeBSD to see if it might solve some of my issues and also allow for monitoring potential issues like you were saying above (i.e. the CPU temperature). Also I have a ryzen build with an AsRock mobo, and I am experiencing lots of crashes such that it doesnt stay up for more than 24 hours; Im wondering if you might have had similar issues with your system (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-11-crash-during-write.59578/#post-422023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.