Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No!

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I think you should be the guinea pig and build one and report back on how it goes. :)

Lots of cores would make it a good candidate for a FN10 box because bhyve and docker. The only bad part is AMD doesn't have a very good track record when it comes to FreeBSD support.

Yeah, I have to say if you want to test it all out great but with a new chipset and CPU drivers are probably going to be abysmal.

In all honesty I go with AMD whenever I can and with the latest info that intel wants to go a different direction AMD will be on top again soon as far as raw horsepower but with a server where stability is needed Intel will be king until AMD gets drivers out there in the wild and the MoBo makers use parts that are well supported in FreeBSD.

ajschot

Patron
I just wanted to start a discussion around AMD Ryzen 7 CPUs
since it is confirmed that it support ECC
Link1
Link2
Link3
its trading blows with Intel 6900K and it has 8 core 16 thread for much cheaper price...
I think a freenas 10 box based on this will be awesome specially for VM's and docker performance...
What do you guys think?
Keep in mind i used an AMD A8 before and on the comming FreeNAS 10 you need ESXi if you want to install windows or other UEFI boot systems
You can only install GRUB loader OSes so Dockers is no problem but windows is still not have full power due to some bhyve problems (Windows work on 1 CPU only)
I have done a lot of testing and even because everyone told UEFI boot was not possible on AMD i was testing with FreeBSD and it did work only 1 cpu and that is the same for FreeNAS now (they did a lot of work during this BETA2 for AMD's) but even FreeBSD shows it works i still had problems when assigning more then 1 vcpu at some time i just stopped with the AMD system i loved it because it was cheap and well enough for my needs but after all these things i gave up. Also i did not think of ESXi then.... now i am on Intel (tip for budget: look for good Xeon ES on eBay)

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
Once the ecosystem is there it looks like it will make a nice system.

A lot of the motherboards even seem to have intel nics

Everyone Talking about there past experience with AMD, this is a new beast guys! totally new architecture, new process node.
For me, I'm excited for it. waiting on few reviews from trusted linux & freepsd guys I follow (btw ECC was tested and it works unbuffered just fine) if the reviews come up positive, I think I might pull the trigger and post about my experience in here.

ajschot

Patron
Everyone Talking about there past experience with AMD, this is a new beast guys! totally new architecture, new process node.
For me, I'm excited for it. waiting on few reviews from trusted linux & freepsd guys I follow (btw ECC was tested and it works unbuffered just fine) if the reviews come up positive, I think I might pull the trigger and post about my experience in here.
I am very positive about the Ryzen it is a beast specially for the price, but reallity is that it has some flawbacks because of compatibility.
You need some things to think about like i wrote before, bhyve is not 100% compatible yet with the other AMD's so certainly not with the new ones, it need some time and more importend developers need to invest time in the new Ryzen, so it will take sometime before all things of FreeBSD (and thus FreeNAS) are working. FreeBSD and FreeNAS both opensource...

Status
Not open for further replies.