Alert won't go away

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeFlorida

Dabbler
I got an alert that ada0 had failed self check on 2018-01-09. ada0 is my boot disk.
I backed up my settings, I replaced it, re-installed and restored settings, all is good but I can't get the alert from 2018-01-09 to go away.
Normally if you have a degraded volume, the alert leaves when the volume no longer degraded.
the self check alert just stays and lingers on, it's not even for the current drive in ada0.

Redcoat

MVP
Is this a USB boot stick that failed a SMART test? What is the error/alert message?

Edit - wrong question - is this an SSD boot disk ...?

JoeFlorida

Dabbler
I had issues with booting from the USB with the previous motherboard. I had a SATA SSD and spare SATA ports so I just used that. It was fairly old so I wasn't surprised it failed. below is the error minus the date.

Device: /dev/ada0, Read SMART Self-Test Log Failed

Redcoat

MVP
As I understand it (I hope appropriately), it's not uncommon for SMART tests to give misleading indications of issues with SSD's such that even a "good" SSD may report as having failed a self-test because of misinterpretation of one of the preprogrammed trigger criteria. Armed with that understanding I turned off the smart test for my SSD boot drive when that report appeared (very soon after I booted into 11.1).

Status
Not open for further replies.