Alert - what needs to be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamilmad

Dabbler
I am running Freenas for the last 6 months and is working reasonably well. My configuration is as below
Build FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201605170422
Platform AMD Sempron(tm) 2650 APU with Radeon(tm) R3
Memory 7600MB

This morning i got an alert from Freenas which I reproduce below:
  • CRITICAL: The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.

The system is fine even now. Please let me know if I need to do anything to check and to take any action?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
You've one of your boot devices that is failing. Follow the manual to replace it ;)

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Good, but you should have used the GUI and followed the manual's steps. Doing things in the back of FreeNAS by using the CLI is asking for problems.

Dice

Wizard

danb35

Hall of Famer
"zpool clear" did the trick.
"zpool clear" didn't fix anything, it just made the error report go away. The underlying problem is still there.

tamilmad

Dabbler
"zpool clear" didn't fix anything, it just made the error report go away. The underlying problem is still there.

Good, but you should have used the GUI and followed the manual's steps. Doing things in the back of FreeNAS by using the CLI is asking for problems.

I reproduce the daily security run output below:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Checking status of zfs pools:

NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE EXPANDSZ FRAG CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT

test-vol1 1.81T 843G 1013G - 22% 45% 1.00x ONLINE /mnt

freenas-boot 14.5G 2.23G 12.3G - - 15% 1.00x ONLINE -

pool: freenas-boot

state: ONLINE

status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An

attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.

action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors

using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.

see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-9P

scan: scrub repaired 82.5K in 0h10m with 0 errors on Wed Jun 1 03:55:17 2016

config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM

freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0

da0p2 ONLINE 0 0 10

errors: No known data errors

-- End of daily output --
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I then followed the above link and used the zpool commands.

With so many concerns expressed regarding usage of CLI rather than GUI, I tried to check the manuals to tackle the above alert using GUI, I could not find the correct procedure. Maybe I am missing something. I would request anyone to post relevant solutions using GUI.

I am sure it would help others to handle similar issues in a better way.

Robert Smith

Patron
With so many concerns expressed regarding usage of CLI rather than GUI, I tried to check the manuals to tackle the above alert using GUI, I could not find the correct procedure. Maybe I am missing something. I would request anyone to post relevant solutions using GUI.

I am sure it would help others to handle similar issues in a better way.

If I am reading the following two links right...

https://bugs.pcbsd.org/issues/6955
https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/6993

... replacing or adding boot drives through GUI is not yet working correctly in version 9.3. I do not have personal experience as I do not use 9.3.

If you have not done so, I would recommend you make a backup of the config file before you do anything else.
If nothing else you can then load FreeNAS afresh, and restore configuration from the backup.

If you want to use mirrored boot drives one of the things you want to learn is how to distinguish one USB stick from another. Even if there are markings or serial numbers printed they are often different from what is reported by querying the drive.

Dice

Wizard
I may have disregarded some parts of the discussion in this thread, but these points seem a bit out of line.
edit: nvm - I realize OP is running 9.3, which might be affected.

The end of the bug thread suggests it was fixed a good while ago: "The workarounds are already in 9.3.1 train so closing as resolved"

.. replacing or adding boot drives through GUI is not yet working correctly in version 9.3
I attached successfully a mirror to the boot drive in 9.3 using gui.
Detachment of a mirror however, would require CLI. (also successful).

Cheers /

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.