Ain't that a b*tch

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVB

Contributor
I've had my main server chassis for about 5 years and it has served me well. So when I decided to up my game to a dual E5-2670 system board I checked to see if it would fit. Apparently I don't know what the difference is between a 3.6 compliant board and whatever SSI EEB size an Intel 2600CP2 board is. I thought it would fit. God knows why
System Board.JPG

Of course, it doesn't with only 6 of the 9 mounting holes lining up t0 the stand locations in the chassis. I put the other stands in and used these little plastic plugs I had laying around left over from some put-together bookcase to keep the metal insulated from the motherboard so at least it is in and working. A new/different chassis was just not in my budget nor will it be anytime soon.

At least the new board is a rocket compared to my old one so there is that to be thankful for.

Thanks for letting me rant.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, I've avoided Intel boards (that was one of the reasons). I've got a new dual E5-2670 system sitting on my floor in the living room that will be my "new" FreeNAS system soon.

AVB

Contributor
Yeah, I've avoided Intel boards (that was one of the reasons). I've got a new dual E5-2670 system sitting on my floor in the living room that will be my "new" FreeNAS system soon.

I think the board is correct and the sever chassis isn't.

Mlovelace

Guru
EATX and SSI EEB are the same dimensions but different mounting holes. As long as everything is pre-installed (RAM, CPU, heatsink) on the board the missing 3 fasteners won't break anything. Just use caution installing PCI-E cards.

AVB

Contributor
EATX and SSI EEB are the same dimensions but different mounting holes. As long as everything is pre-installed (RAM, CPU, heatsink) on the board the missing 3 fasteners won't break anything. Just use caution installing PCI-E cards.

Yes, I knew that they were the same size with different mounting holes. The point is my case says it will handle a SSI/EEB 3.6 compliant board(whatever that is) but seemingly doesn't since the SSI/EEB board I have doesn't line up. Unless an SSI/EEB 3.6 board is really an E-ATX?

styno

Patron
Dremel has excellent tools that make boards just fit ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

styno

Patron

AVB

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.