After upgrade to 9.3 I can't decrypt my Volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pasco

Dabbler
Hi 2gether

I got a big problem: I can't decrypt my volumes after an upgrade vom 9.2.1.9 to 9.3.

When ever I try to decrypt (with passphrase or geli-key) it says:

Error: Volume could not be imported: 2 devices failed to decrypt

Is there a chance to recover from that?

I'm really stuck and I would need the data very urgent. I appreciate any help on that very very much! Thanks in advance!

P@sco

rogerh

Guru
Have you tried installing 9.2.1.9 on another USB drive and booting from that? Hopefully you have your config file saved, I don't know how necessary that is.

Edit: I expect it would be useful to provide all the usual stuff about your system mentioned in the forum rules - hardware - boot device - controllers - motherboard- disks etc.

pasco

Dabbler
Yes, I've just tried. Same problem. I have the config file saved, yes.

I've already tried to detach and auto import the volumes. Then I get follwing error(s):

The following disks failed to attach: gptid/a1a11b02-5e98-11e4-95e3-00300598d47b, gptid/a1fce450-5e98-11e4-95e3-00300598d47b

rogerh

Guru
You really need an expert to reply to your post as I am very much not one. But in the meantime smartctl -a on at least the two suspect disks (we don't know how many you have or how much redundancy) might show whether it is a decryption problem or a disk problem.

D

dlavigne

Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

pasco

Dabbler
@dlavigneOK. It's
Bug #7068

@rogerh
I can't get the infos from it, because I got 2 physical disks as an RAID1-array. smartctl says:

/dev/md1: Unable to detect device type
Please specify device type with the -d option.

rogerh

Guru
So what sort of RAID controller are you using - your whole hardware setup would be useful?

pasco

Dabbler
I'm using the built-in software raid from freenas.

Perhaps I explain what I did exactly. I was running freenas 9.2.1.8 (or maybe 9.2.1.9, I can't remember surely) on a pretty old Pentium 4 32bit/386 machine. So I was limited to 4 GB RAM.
Freenas started on a 8 GB USB-Stick and I've installed two 2 TB HDDs in RAID1 (mirror) mode.

I've downloaded the Webinterface-Update for freenas 9.3 (FreeNAS-9.3-RELEASE.GUI_Upgrade.txz an installed it from the GUI/Webinterface. Before I've started I saved the config-db as it said. I started the update. It said, everthing went ok and the system would reboot. It shut down, but didn't start again, there was only the cursor blinking.

I guessed, my old motherboard with a bios from 2005 wouldn't be able to handle the GPT Partition. So I've started on the machine itself (not via GUI/Webinterface) the FreeNAS-9.3-RELEASE.iso. (Don't know if this was the 64- or 32-bit edition? Or does it choose it automatically?) The installer asked me to upgrade. So I choose to "upgrade". But now it didn't start anymore, I guess it was because it was the 64-bit edition.

So I've formated the usb-start-stick. I hope this wasn't a terrible fault, but I thought I have the config.db and there was a info in a readme-file, I could also try it with a fresh install, import the config.db and all fine. So I did.

Finally I got it work again with freenas 9.3 (on a new 64bit machine) and also on the old machine (Pentium 4, 32bit/386) with 9.2.1.9. Everthing looks nice, of my config. But if I want to decrypt my volume(s) it gives me the above mentioned errors.

Do you think there is any hope to get my data back? It would be so nice to have them back :smile:. Thanks so much - I really appreciate any help or futher info on this issue(s)!
P@sco

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Wait, encryption on a 32-bit system? Ouch, that explains a few things...

warri

Guru
Don't know if that explains anything. Encryption was fully supported on 32 bit systems on the 9.2.x branches. Of course the OP would have been operating below recommended hardware specs, especially on the RAM side. But I don't believe that this is necessarily the reason for the failure here.
Btw, as far as I know FreeNAS is 64 bit only starting from 9.3 - that explains the installation failing on your old machine.

I've never used encryption myself, so I won't be much of a help here. Some developer asked for more details in the bug report, you should definitely provide these details over at the bug tracker. The devs generally don't read the forums very often.

enemy85

Guru
Why were u using an hw raid when u could simple set up a mirror or a 3 way mirror with freenas?

warri

Guru
Why were u using an hw raid when u could simple set up a mirror or a 3 way mirror with freenas?

We haven't seen a complete hardware list yet, but I think pasco is not using a hw raid:

I'm using the built-in software raid from freenas.
[...]
and I've installed two 2 TB HDDs in RAID1 (mirror) mode

The term "RAID1-array" used before is surely misleading, though.

rogerh

Guru
Isn't /dev/md1 a bit confusing? Do you normally get such device names for HDDs in FreeNAS?

pasco

Dabbler
Thanks for your messages.

Decryption was working fine on my old Pentium 4 32bit/386 system for 3 months now with 9.2.1.8/9.2.1.9.

Sorry for my misleading explanation. I don't have an HW-array. I use the mirror set up with freenas. Just the two disks attached each to an 'ordinaray' sata connector on the mainboard. @rogerh: That's why I've got md0, md1, md2 as drives.

@solarisguy: No, I can't decrypt on my old machine anymore, I've tried that too. I think the main problem is, that I don't have my original installation on the usb-start-stick anymore. I only have the config.db and my passphrase. I'm not sure if I got the right geli.key and geli_recovery.key :-/. I hope I can decrypt from this situation only with the config.db and passphrase somehow.

@enemy85: What further hw specs do you have to know? OK, I will update my bug report.

Thanks so much for your help. I would be very grateful to have my data back somehow..

pasco

Dabbler
You can generate a new passphrase (which can actually be the same) but I guess you will get a new geli.key and geli_recovery.key then. So I'm not sure, if I've downloaded these files again (because I was trying around at the very beginning).

But I still see my volumes in the storage tab as "LOCKED". And I know the passphrase. So I guess I should be able to unlock them with only the passphrase? (at least it worked each time before the upgrade after a reboot of the server. I tried it serveral times and it worked flawlessly)

pasco

Dabbler
Is there somewhere a specific error log for the decrypt-mechanism? So that I could get more info on the specific error?

enemy85

Guru
@pasco sorry if i misunderstood, but as @rogerh already wrote, /dev/md1 was a bit confusing...
btw, i guess you have not updated your bug report yet, because i could see anywhere your hw specs...

Status
Not open for further replies.