After Shutdown Can't Unlock Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

wljohnson05

Dabbler
The power in our neighborhood went out early this morning, so once I heard the UPS kick in on my FreeNAS system, I came in and shut it down via the GUI. This afternoon, we got the power back. I powered it up and began unlocking the volumes I have. They all work except one. From what I found in my research (other than trying the normal downloaded key I have for it) there should be keys on /data/geli/... I found one key in there and tried using that as well, but no go. I've tried different combinations of passphrase with and without the key, and I've tried the key without the passphrase as well. I have all my old configurations and anytime there's any changes made to the volumes, I download the keys. I have copies of everything, but I just can't get it unlocked. There has to be someone out there that has a solution. This is the most important volume on my system, and I had actually been planning to make a full backup this weekend in case something happens to the system, but of course...if it can go wrong it will. I'm even to the point at throwing money at this if someone can get me into this thing. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:

wljohnson05

Dabbler
Honestly if I can get into this volume I am really thinking I'm going to get out of the encryption setup. Any idea if it's still possible to get into this volume?

wljohnson05

Dabbler
Is there anywhere else that the keys are stored? When it goes to open it up with just the passphrase it looks for a keyfile that it apparently can't find. I'm wondering if there's any way to find that file somewhere else??

Attachments

• log.PNG
    log.PNG
    40.1 KB · Views: 175
D

dlavigne

Were you able to resolve this? Do you have a downloaded copy of the key?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Did you re-key after replacing a disk or doing some similar operation? If not, that would explain your problem - and it almost certainly leaves you with a locked pool, unfortunately.

I'd recommend going through the GELI manual and trying to unlock the pool manually with the recovery key.

wljohnson05

Dabbler
Did you re-key after replacing a disk or doing some similar operation? If not, that would explain your problem - and it almost certainly leaves you with a locked pool, unfortunately.

I'd recommend going through the GELI manual and trying to unlock the pool manually with the recovery key.

I'm not positive I re-keyed after replacing the last drive in that volume....Could have just re-silvered and done a download key. Really can't remember at this point. I did pull down a key at that point for sure since that is the one I do have to use with it, but I can't remember if I did a rekey or not since it's been a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.