afp authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

qubit

Dabbler
Hi

have been running freenas for a couple of years, and have just established a new second NAS. In revisiting configuration, I am not understanding if it is preferable to set password of the share or not.

volume vol1_pool
dataset dataset_1 permisision: owner=abc, group =abc
share ctx_share
user abc

Mac user acct abc

freenas lists in finder window sidebar:Shared

a. If the Share password (123) is configured then;
1) Connect As in Finder window as user=abc and pw=123 results in 'Connection failed'
2) Main Menu:Go:Connect to server: afp://freenas._afpovertcp._tcp.local asks for password for ctx_share, and successfully lists dataset_1 in the finder window

b. If the Share password is deleted then;
1) Connect As in Finder authenicates ok with user abc, and lists ctx_share in the finder window
2) Main Menu:Go:Connect to server: afp://freenas._afpovertcp._tcp.local does not request authentication , and lists dataset_1

a1. authenticating successfully, and also conncting to server via Go.. mounts the ctx_share on desktop
using the command diskutil list does not list the 'mounted' ctx_share volume

b2. on connection, and with dataset_1 listed as a directory in a finder window, and with a ctx_share volume on the desktop
using the command diskutil list does not list the 'mounted' ctx_share volume

I am not getting why configuring a password for the afp share, causes Connect As to fail
I also do not understand why the desktop mounted ctx_share is not recognised as a volume ; its icon get info states kind = volume

Now one thing I have just identified, is that if the AFP share is named differently to the default 'freenas', eg as hpfreenas then both freenas and hpfreenas list in the finder window sidebar. Each with different icons.

I am having difficulty untangling this.

Status
Not open for further replies.