Advice needed: vm or docker container for network services

Brad T

Dabbler
I've switched one of three TN servers from Core to SCALE and it has been a pretty good experience so far.

My two remaining Core servers are running FreeBSD 12.x jails (iocage) hosting DHCP & DNS servers for my network.

Looking around the SCALE ecosystem, it seems like I could spin up a docker container or a vm to run these. I have built an image that works in docker and a conventional k8s deployment, built using Alpine Linux 3.16.2, ISC-DHCP 4.4.3_p1-r0 x & ISC-BIND 9.18.7-r0...

I tried to deploy the image on the TN SCALE server and was surprised to see the port restriction (9000+) and the image actually never deployed, even with using the high port numbers. I assume I could add an ingress to translate the ports back down to TCP/53, UDP/53, UDP/67 etc where the services are expected ~ I saw that mentioned in various forum posts as well.

Core servers: TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1 (jails are 12.2-RELEASE)
SCALE server: TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4 (hardware: Dell PowerEdge R420, 2 x Xeon E5-2430L v2, 32 GB RAM)

Based on this generic info/requirements, does it make more sense to instantiate these services as Linux vm's or try to get to end of job of setting them up as a containerized app (ie, a single-replica StatefulSet in K8s jargon)?

I like the containerized approach - in theory, less resource usage and less OS patching, but I'm a bit concerned and slowed down by the lack of documentation and trying to parse all the forum entries to figure out the networking.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice... and any pointers to documentation! :)