ADMINS - Isn't there something you can do to reduce the SPAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtoSD

MVP
Can't you impose Captcha for new users with under say 50 posts?
Or limit the number of posts withing a certain time?
Or some type of filter for posts with the same content or subject?
Something?

I'm on other Vbulletin forums and don't see this happen on them as bad as it is here.

Thanks!

Milhouse

Guru
Seriously, Admins - implement some measures before this forum becomes a total waste of time. Tonight my inbox was full of "new post" messages due to spam replies on this forum, pretty soon we'll disable the future and eventually stop returning completely.

As protosd mentions above, other forums - that are more popular and with higher traffic - don't have such obvious problems with spam as this FN8 forum. If you need moderators to help with any work load, now would be the time to begin that discussion.

J

James

We do use captcha. We need more moderators on the weekends with ban access. If one person doesn't get banned within the hour, they end up spawning multiple names and spamming dozens of messages. Volunteers?

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi admin,

I'd be happy to help as well.

-Will

Brand

I have been using FreeNAS for a while and would be more than happy to give back to the community. If you need a moderator or administrator count me in.

J

James

Thanks guys! Milhouse, cubix, Brand, protosd, and survive are now moderators.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
I suggest to enable AKISMET feature to fight with those spammers. There is a native support in vBulletin, so it is pretty easy to set it up :]

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
2 protosd: That hack is for vB 3.x.x and it's not needed for this forum, because in vB 4.x is native support for Akismet ;)

akiso.png

ProtoSD

MVP
HolyKiller,

Thanks for posting that screen shot. Hopefully the Admins will get a chance to take a look at that, moderators don't have access to that screen unless I'm missing something. What's involved in obtaining the Anti-Spam service key?

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
No, MODs don't have access to this because it is under the admin control panel settings.
You will get your key after registration of an account. The price depends on type of license. For example for non-profit its free, for small profit its 5 bucks per month.

ProtoSD

MVP
Thanks for giving that a try. I caught one after you said it had been applied, but I was watching the "who's online" and it was amusing because I could see users trying to register that were obviously spammers and they were getting a permission denied error, so it seems like it's helping.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
One more thing ... when you are deleting any spam post, use "Delete Post as Spam..." choice.

delspam.png

So the information about the spammer will be sent to akismet :]

ProtoSD

MVP
Thanks, already doing that. It seems a little bit better with Akismet, but there are still a few that get by. I've noticed now they're posting 'moderated' spam....

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
2 protosd: Yes, the system is "learning" to "fit" for the specific domain/web. For the next coupple of days/weeks, that system will place "suspicious" posts aka "i-am-not-sure-if-this-is-spam-or-not" into moderation queue to prevent deleting "clear" posts. But after some time, it will start recognizig spams better and better and at the end, only a few posts will "fall" into moderation queue.

Status
Not open for further replies.