Adding a new NIC

damonizer

Dabbler
Am hoping someone could help me out with this question.

My motherboard uses a Realtek NIC built in and its caused me allot of grief where i have seen connection drop. I think its a common occurance and the reccomendation is to not used it.

So i purchased USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet NIC Network Adapter - SANOXY USB to RJ45 Network Adaptor with ASIX - AX88178 chipset and plugged it in.

The NIC was recognized but i cant seem to figure out whats the best way to switch from my old NIC to this from SANOXY.

I tried just plugging out the cable and into this new NIC ( i have DHCP enabled on TrueNAS and fixed the IP as part of the router settings)

That didnt seem to work...i just cant access the UI anymore.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Attachments

• NIC Recognized.png
    NIC Recognized.png
    278.3 KB · Views: 538
  • Network Settings.png
    Network Settings.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 579

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I'm not convinced that you'll get better results by going down this path, but as I understand it, you're trying to keep your original NIC connected (also assigned with DHCP on the same subnet as the new one).

1. TrueNAS will only do DHCP on one NIC.

2. You can't have 2 NICs getting addresses on the same subnet.

I suggest making the change and then when the test option starts afer you apply, swap the cable over.

If that doesn't work, your config will go back to the original after the 60 seconds passes and you don't confirm it's working.

damonizer

Dabbler
i see what you mean...

so logically would these be my steps?

1. Go into new NIC and set the TrueNAS's orginal DHCP IP
  2. When in test mode
  3. Swap the cable and put it into the new NIC
  4. Try accessing via original NIC
If all else fails....just wait for the network settings to resume ...by plugging the original cable back?

sretalla