Add 4th drive to Raid set...NEWB HERE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Patterson

Dabbler
I'm VERY New to Freenas. I'm running Freenas 9.10 Last week I created a Raid 5 volume (Raidz1-0) that contains 3x 3.0TB drives (5.45TB Total space after creation. Last night I picked up another 3.0TB drive and want to add it to the volume. Very soon I plan to get a 5th 3.0TB drive and will want to add it as well for a total of 5 drives for the Volume (Raid 5). How can I do so without moving all of my data off and starting over? Is it even possible?

Thanks!

zambanini

Patron
you can add another vdev to your pool, in that case another raidz1. but you should prefer a big raidz2.

Mr_N

Patron
wait until you get a 6th drive and make a 6 drive z2 vdev, when you need more space after that add another 6 drives...

or use mirrors, 2 drives then add another mirror of 2 etc

Scharbag

Guru
What Mr_N said is good advice.

Basic ZFS primer: Pools are made of 1 or more vDevs. VDevs are made of physical drives. Once a Zx vDev is created, it cannot be made "larger" in capacity. If the vDev is a mirror, you can add drives to it to increase the parity count. Pools capacity can be increased by adding additional vDevs. It is recommended that all vDevs in a pool be made of the same RAID level using the same type of drives (capacity, RPM, block size). ZFS will allow you to mix vDev types in a pool if you want to, but, just because you can does not mean you should. :)

Note: if anyone finds mistakes above, please let me know.

I run Z2 in a 2x6 array of 12 drives. Fast enough for my needs. Resilient too as I have experienced a number of failed drives in the last 3 years due to Seagate 3TB drives being shite without data loss or unavailability. I have never needed to use my backups which is convenient for me.

RaidZ1 is not as resilient to failure as RaidZ2 (or mirroring) because failures during a resilver (rebuilding of a ZFS pool) will cause the loss of the pool and all of the data on it. Mirrors are faster than Z2 but offer 50% space efficiency whereas Z2 can offer 50% (4 drives) up to 80% (10 disks, basically the max number you should use in a Z2 vDev from what I have read). Also, and this really gets into complicated probability functions, Z2 arrays, if configured properly, are more resilient to failures than mirrored sets if a large number of drives are involved. This is because if 2 of 2 drives in the same mirror fail, then the entire pool is lost whereas a Z2 pool can tolerate 2 drive failures without data loss regardless of which 2 drives fail. And to complicate things, you can make the mirrors out of as many drives as you want i.e. 3 or 4 drives mirrored to make each vDev. Sacrificing space for availability. Fun times.

You, unfortunately, have run into the 1 thing that ZFS does not do that would be really nice if it did. You have to plan ahead with ZFS. I would have preferred to use a 2x8TB Z2 pool arrangement but I did not have enough drive bays available to do so in my Norco case, and I have 22 drives in it :) Moving forward, I will always sacrifice 33% capacity to parity and need to add 6 additional drives if I want to expand my pool while following ZFS best practices.

Another item to consider is that any form of RAID (5, 6, 50, 60, Z1-Z3, mirrors) will NEVER replace backups (nothing personal, I harp about this all the time :)). RaidZ2 will be far more tolerant to failure than Z1 (or no RAID at all) but please consider backing up your irreplaceable data regardless of RAID level.

Cheers,

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Please take some time to go over the items linked in my sig. This will help make life easier once you understand FreeNas a bit for. It is well worth the time and I find myself constantly re-reading or quoting information from them.

danb35

Hall of Famer
RaidZ1 is not as resilient to failure as RaidZ2 (or mirroring) because failures during a resilver (rebuilding of a ZFS pool) will cause the loss of the pool and all of the data on it.
Well, kind of. The complete failure of a second drive in a RAIDZ1 vdev will, as you say, result in the loss of all data on the pool. A read error, however, will result only in the loss of whatever data is being read. If that data happens to be the only copy of a critical piece of metadata, you could lose your whole pool--that shouldn't be very likely, though, as all metadata is duplicated between two and six times (on top of whatever redundancy the vdev provides). The more likely scenario is that some data is lost in a file.

Mirroring suffers the same problem, if the fail(ed|ing) drive is the "wrong" one.

Billy Patterson

Dabbler
alright, well I have copied the data off my current volume and have bought 2 more disks for a total of 6. I am looking for raid, def not a double parity. I'd like to have a raid 5 config (5 usuable drives and one parity drive.) Is there anything special I should be aware of?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Raidz?

There is no raid 5 in FreeNAS.

It appears the special nuances have been addressed already. Mainly the risk of large drives and raidz1.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Is there anything special I should be aware of?
Other than the fact that a majority of the contributors here would advise you against using RaidZ1; unless you are keeping regular backups and don't mind having to go through a lengthy down time to do a full restore... nah your good. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.