Add to existing volume (increase volume) using ZFS with RAID 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantumtraveler

Dabbler
How can I add a drive to an existing volume using ZFS with RAID 5? I mean, assuming I'm running 3x 2TB drives ZFS RAID 5. How can I add a new drive later without moving all my data to another location, adding the new (4th) drive, recreating the volume and then transferring his data back. I don't want to create a second volume, I want to increase the current volume. Is this possible without moving all the data..?

sunflashx

Dabbler
No, I've only seen that type of functionality come from the unraid nas.

The only real option with ZFS is to add a new RAIDZ to the existing pool, which would be another 3+ drives. Or copy all the data off and start over.

Brand

How can I add a drive to an existing volume using ZFS with RAID 5? I mean, assuming I'm running 3x 2TB drives ZFS RAID 5. How can I add a new drive later without moving all my data to another location, adding the new (4th) drive, recreating the volume and then transferring his data back. I don't want to create a second volume, I want to increase the current volume. Is this possible without moving all the data..?

There is no such thing as a ZFS Raid 5. There is a ZFS Raid-Z, ZFS Raid-Z2, and ZFS Raid-Z3. Perhaps are are talking about ZFS Raid-Z? With any current implementation of ZFS you can not add a single drive to a pool to expand the size. You can however replace all drives individually, one at a time, to grow the pool.

quantumtraveler

Dabbler
Perhaps are are talking about ZFS Raid-Z? With any current implementation of ZFS you can not add a single drive to a pool to expand the size. You can however replace all drives individually, one at a time, to grow the pool.
Sorry, I was talking about RAID Z. So if I replace the drives individually, like you mentioned i.e. one at a time, are you saying that will allow me to grow the pool without creating a new volume? Sorry for asking what may seem obvious, it's just that this is something we're debating at the office (we have a team of 5 guys that each have the same setup and planning for the future..)

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Sorry, I was talking about RAID Z. So if I replace the drives individually, like you mentioned i.e. one at a time, are you saying that will allow me to grow the pool without creating a new volume? Sorry for asking what may seem obvious, it's just that this is something we're debating at the office (we have a team of 5 guys that each have the same setup and planning for the future..)

Correct, that or add a whole new raidz vdev (3 new disks)

Status
Not open for further replies.