AD users/groups syncing

Cinjin

Dabbler
Hi All,

I am running on FreeNAS 11.3-U3.1 and two Active Directory Servers (one windows 2012 and one windows 2016). I recently added a group to AD and put myself in it and i see myself in that group on all servers in the office except on the FreeNAS server. On the FreeNAS server i do see that new group just not anyone assigned to it. I tried to rebuild the service cache with no change.

Any idea why it doesnt seem to be syncing properly ?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi All,

I am running on FreeNAS 11.3-U3.1 and two Active Directory Servers (one windows 2012 and one windows 2016). I recently added a group to AD and put myself in it and i see myself in that group on all servers in the office except on the FreeNAS server. On the FreeNAS server i do see that new group just not anyone assigned to it. I tried to rebuild the service cache with no change.

Any idea why it doesnt seem to be syncing properly ?
If `wbinfo -t` returns normally it's probably just a matter of caching. You can run `service winbindd status` in the CLI to get the PID for the winbindd process then `kill -HUP <pid>` to force it to discard the cache. May need to `net cache flush` if for some reason a negative lookup result is in there.

Cinjin

Dabbler
wbinfo - t returns as successful. I killed winbindd, did a 'net cache flush" and started winbindd but i still have the same issue where it doesnt show me as in that group on FreeNAS.

Cinjin

Dabbler
Everything seems to be synced now, it seems like after running those steps i just had to wait a long time.

Cinjin

Dabbler
Syncing seemed to take over a day to get it all working but these are the possible steps that may have fixed the issue if anyone else is having it:

In FreeNAS UI go to Directory Services > Active Directory > hit rebuild directory service cache.

SSH steps:
  1. wbinfo -t > make sure the check comes back successful
  2. Service winbindd stop
  3. Net cache flush
  4. Service winbindd start
Reboot AD servers.

Cinjin

Dabbler
It looks like i am still having an issue. So on my AD windows servers i have a group with say 10 people in it, everything looks good there but when i check some of those users on the FreeNAS server it does not show them in that group. So it may only show 8 people are in the group on the FreeNAS server. I am not sure why the servers are not synced. ANy suggestions ?

Here is the user showing on a Centos machine:

# id lucas
uid=10146(lucas) gid=65536(group1) groups=65536(group1),65539(domain users),65544(group2),65542(group3)

Here is the user showing on FreeNAS:

# id lucas
uid=10146(lucas) gid=65536(group1) groups=65536(group1),65539(domain users),90000002(BUILTIN\users)

Last edited: