Active Directory winbind cache time

asch75

Cadet
Hi guys,

I feel user/group accounts synchronization between TrueNAS and Windows AD is a bit slow.
I'm trying to edit winbind cache time at /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf with value of 300 (seconds).
But anytime I restart TrueNas it returns to default value of 7200.

I can force sync with just service winbindd restart, but maybe there is a more polite method.

How can I start the automatic synchronization in less than 2 hours?

Thanks for your help!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
TrueNAS is an appliance, and manual editing of files, especially automatically generated ones managed by the GUI, isn't supported. It is not a standard FreeBSD/Linux box for you to tinker inside indiscriminately.

If there isn't an option to do what you want in the GUI, you can always ask for one by posting a feature request on Jira.

asch75

Cadet
Thanks for your super fast response. I'm just starting my learning with Truenas...
I read about "tunables". Maybe this is the way to access to this setting?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No. Tunables generally twiddle stuff at the OS level.

An appliance device typically takes readily available technology that may be a bit inscrutable to the average person and tries to make it more accessible. For example, Samba is basically horrible to try to configure from scratch. If you install it on FreeBSD or Linux, it typically comes with a prebuilt configuration which still ends up requiring twiddling with. An appliance system like TrueNAS tries to pull out all the twiddle-ables that people normally need and presents them in a more accessible fashion. But at the end of the day, TrueNAS is basically creating the files for the services that it is running. If someone hasn't foreseen your need and allowed for it in the appliance design, there will be no easy way to change it persistently. Therefore you generally need to approach the GUI designers and ask them for your value or twiddle-able to be exposed in the GUI.

asch75

Cadet
Loud and clear! Thanks again for your time.
I will post a feature request on Jira and In the meantime I will try a GUI cron job to restart winbindd daemon.

asch75

Cadet
SMB auxiliary parameters do the trick! Seems there's a lot to learn on Truenas... I'm going to read documentation more deeply.
Thanks anodos for your help!