Acquired several new drives and could use some setup advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fr Jonah

Dabbler
Hi, all,

I just acquired 4 x 1tb dell enterprise drives to go along with my 4 x 1 tb wd enterprise drives and would like some advice on setup. FreeNAS complains when I attempt to do the 8x1x1tb Raidz2 configuration that I would *like* to do, and further research on the point does seem to indicate that I'll have some performance hit from going with this non-optimal setup. So, my questions are as follow:

1. Is it ok to go ahead with the 8x1x1tb setup anyway? How much of a performance hit are we talking? My specs are in my signature (though I'm in the process of upgrading to 32gb of RAM).

2. If I should avoid the non-optimal configuration from Question 1, what do you suggest for ideal balance of storage--performance--security (redundancy) for my setup? I'm willing to buy a couple more drives if necessary, but not looking for more than another $200 of investment at this point max. I lean heavily towards a Raidz2 configuration in principle.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Fr Jonah

Dabbler
I found this blog post a while ago and it was useful for me. I don't think the basics have changed much since it was written.

http://constantin.glez.de/blog/2010/06/closer-look-zfs-vdevs-and-performance

eraser, thanks for the link... I've actually read that article many times in the past and just read it again... that being said, I still can't see anything specifically addressing the case of a non-optimal vdev configuration (i.e. performance loss resulting from non-optimal configurations). I've also noticed that several experienced users on the forum have, at one time or another, gone with one or more 8 disk Raidz2 vdevs in their setup. Does anyone have practical experience with what is lost with this non-optimal arrangement?

Thanks.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Many of us have had experience with non-optimal drive setups. The question is what type of environment will your NAS be used in. If it's a home environment streaming video/music, making backups, etc... then you will never know the difference. If you are in a high transaction environment like a Google Search Engine, yes you would see a performance hit.

You will see a larger performance hit when using a RAIDZ2 over a RAIDZ1. And in a typical home/small office environment you should have no real issues in my opinion.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
To answer your request for my feedback, that's exactly what joeschmuck has already said. In some cases you won't care. In others it will be crippling.

Fr Jonah

Dabbler
Well, hmm... 10x1x1tb Raidz2 is an optimal design, isn't it? Even though it probably wouldn't have been a huge impact, I just picked up 2 more Re4s (1TB) from ebay to do the 10x1 Raidz2 configuration. Thanks!

As a side note: is there a similar hit in performance for having mismatched vdevs, or is everything optimal as long as each vdev is optimal within itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.