ACL Default permissions & deleting owned file

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsfew32

Dabbler
2 related problems/questions:

1) HOW TO SET DEFAULT PERMISSIONS ON FILE CREATION WHICH DO NOT INHERIT FROM DIRECTORY

In debian-based linux generally there is a default permissions of 644/755 for files/directories (now 664/775). As I understand this happens because the umask is set to 022 or 002 which governs the default permissions for the creation of new files. However in freenas (windows acl style permissions) default file creation simply inherits the permissions of the containing directory. I see from the setfacl man page

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?format=html&query=setfacl(1)

that there is an inheritance flag. However, I am looking more for a default rather than inheritance.
Is there a way to change this to have the creation behavior be closer to what is done in debian-based systems?

2) HOW CAN OWNER DELETE FILE REGARDLESS OF PERMISSIONS

I'm using windows acl style permissions, but I'm noticing a difference between what my user on my freenas server can do and what I can do from my ubuntu CIFS mount or my mount from windows 8.1. From the server directly I can do:

$ touch testfile
$ ls -lat
drwxr-xr-x+ 2 user user 3 Jul 25 15:29 .
-rwxr-xr-x+ 1 user user 0 Jul 25 15:29 testfile
drwxr-xr-x+ 17 user user 18 Jul 25 14:45 ..
$ setfacl -m everyone@:rwx::deny testfile
$ ls -lat
total 15
----------+ 1 user user 0 Jul 25 15:29 testfile
$ rm -rf
$ touch testfile
$ ls -lat
total 14
drwxr-xr-x+ 2 user user 2 Jul 25 15:35 .

However from the mounted CIFS share from ubuntu:

$ ls -lat
total 1
---------- 1 user user 0 Jul 25 15:29 testfile
drwxr-xr-x 2 user user 0 Jul 25 15:29 .
drwxr-xr-x 17 user user 0 Jul 25 14:45 ..
$ rm -rf testfile
rm: cannot remove âtestfileâ: Permission denied

SETUP

* FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506292130
* Connect with both windows 8.1 and ubuntu 14.04 (CIFIS via automount)
* Why these things are a problem: Git mostly. I don't want to have to log into my freenas server to run nas, or check out my repo to some other drive if I can avoid it. Especially considering things were working with my old file server; I'd like to get the same functionality IF POSSIBLE.

CIFS SETTINGS

NetBIOS name: freenas
Workgroup: WORKGROUP
Description: FreeNAS Server
DOS charset: CP437
UNIX charset: UTF-8
Log level: Minimum
Local Master: CHECKED
Time Server for Domain: CHECKED
Guest account: nobody
File mask: 0644
Directory mask: 0755
Unix Extensions: CHECKED
Zeroconf share discovery: CHECKED
Hostnames lookups: CHECKED
Server minimum protocol: ---------
Server maximum protocol: SMB2
Allow execute always: CHECKED
Obey pam restrictions: CHECKED
Bind IP Addresses:
Idmap Range Low: 90,000,001
Idmap Range High: 100,000,000

SHARE SETTINGS

Browsable to Network Clients: CHECKED
VFS Objects: aio_ptheread, streams_xattr
Periodic Snapshot Task: storage1/home - every 3 hours - 1month
Auxiliary Parameters: none

VOLUME OPTIONS

Compression level: Inherit (lz4)
Share type: Windows
Enable atime: Inherit (on)
ZFS Deduplication: Inherit (off)

VOLUME PERMISSIONS

Apply Owner (user): CHECKED
Apply Owner (group): CHECKED
Apply Mode: CHECKED
Mode: (GREYED OUT)
Permission Type: WINDOWS
Set permission recursively: NOT CHECKED

UBUNTU AUTOMOUNT SETTINGS:
files -fstype=cifs,credentials=/root/.smbcredentials2,rw,iocharset=utf8,exec ://freenas/files[/CODE]

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
2 related problems/questions:

1) HOW TO SET DEFAULT PERMISSIONS ON FILE CREATION WHICH DO NOT INHERIT FROM DIRECTORY

In debian-based linux generally there is a default permissions of 644/755 for files/directories (now 664/775). As I understand this happens because the umask is set to 022 or 002 which governs the default permissions for the creation of new files. However in freenas (windows acl style permissions) default file creation simply inherits the permissions of the containing directory. I see from the setfacl man page

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?format=html&query=setfacl(1)

that there is an inheritance flag. However, I am looking more for a default rather than inheritance.
Is there a way to change this to have the creation behavior be closer to what is done in debian-based systems?
I believe under 'windows-style' permissions you achieve your goal through setting the inheritance flag on access control entries. If you want to set default permissions for a file / folder owner, you modify the special "owner@"ACE. ACLs are most easily managed through a Windows client.

Alternatively, you can just stick to UNIX permissions type if that's what makes most sense to you.

2) HOW CAN OWNER DELETE FILE REGARDLESS OF PERMISSIONS

I'm using windows acl style permissions, but I'm noticing a difference between what my user on my freenas server can do and what I can do from my ubuntu CIFS mount or my mount from windows 8.1. From the server directly I can do:

$ touch testfile
$ ls -lat
-rwxr-xr-x+ 1 user user 0 Jul 25 15:29 testfile
$ ls -lat
total 15
----------+ 1 user user 0 Jul 25 15:29 testfile
$ rm -rf
$ touch testfile
$ ls -lat
total 14
drwxr-xr-x+ 2 user user 2 Jul 25 15:35 .

However from the mounted CIFS share from ubuntu:

$ ls -lat
total 1
---------- 1 user user 0 Jul 25 15:29 testfile
drwxr-xr-x 2 user user 0 Jul 25 15:29 .
drwxr-xr-x 17 user user 0 Jul 25 14:45 ..
$ rm -rf testfile
rm: cannot remove âtestfileâ: Permission denied
Samba adds a compatibility later (for lack of better term) on top of freenas's nfsv4 acls. Apparently this may result in different behavior in cases of conflicting ACEs.

For more info about zfsacl options see manpage here: https://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=blob_plain;f=docs-xml/manpages/vfs_zfsacl.8.xml;hb=HEAD

dsfew32

Dabbler
Thanks very much for the reply anodos...

I believe under 'windows-style' permissions you achieve your goal through setting the inheritance flag on access control entries. If you want to set default permissions for a file / folder owner, you modify the special "owner@"ACE. ACLs are most easily managed through a Windows client.
But I'm not sure how changing the "owner@" permissions sets the default permission to a file that doesn't exist yet. The question is: where does the permissions from a newly created file come from? It appears to just grab the permissions from the containing directory. But I would rather like it to have some default rather than get it's permissions from the containing directory (because I want the file/directories with different permissions). It appears that there is a default flag (-d) with setfacl, however, I'm getting ' branding mismatch; existing ACL is NFSv4, entry to be merged is POSIX.1e', and none of the 'remove' flags seem to work. So it looks like I need to use NFSv4 acl. There is an 'inherit_only' flag that I've been messing with but I haven't been able to get my created files to have different permissions from the parent directory. Still searching...
Alternatively, you can just stick to UNIX permissions type if that's what makes most sense to you.
I am on windows permissions because I share via CIFS to both linux and windows machine and am following the advise here (and elsewhere):

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...re-with-unix-acls-to-work-with-windows.21897/

Samba adds a compatibility later (for lack of better term) on top of freenas's nfsv4 acls. Apparently this may result in different behavior in cases of conflicting ACEs.

For more info about zfsacl options see manpage here: https://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=blob_plain;f=docs-xml/manpages/vfs_zfsacl.8.xml;hb=HEAD

Ill have to dig into this more. I wonder if I need to add 'inherit acls' to my client/server config or some other config option. Not sure. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.