Accidental headless install?

I'm a bit weirded out. I reinstalled 11.3-u5 onto new media (an SSD drive; I had to add a controller to support the added drive, too), to finally get past running from a USB thumb drive, the last one I was using finally wore out and locked up.

The system is back up and working and I can access my data, with the right logins and passwords and so forth, so I have to count this exercise as a success.

However, nothing appears on the monitor connected to the system's VGA port, not even at shutdown or boot. That was working until the re-install, and in fact during the reinstall. Booting from a FreeBSD live-USB still shows the console on the connected monitor, so I think this shows the VGA adapter, cable, and monitor still work.

The only theory I have come up with is that somehow something told TrueNAS to run in headless mode. Is that even possible? Accidentally? (No cats were in the room or walking on the keyboard during the installation :smile: ). So there's probably some other theory. I guess this isn't urgent, but it will become so the next time something goes wrong with hardware, and I'd prefer to get it figured out in advance. What really happened, or how do I tell the system to switch back out of headless mode and talk to the monitor?