Access VM from FreeNas console

Fulatins

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm quite new to NAS and sure FreeNas software, so maybe this will be a newbie question, I'm sorry for that.

I have a nice FreeNas installation running, everything is running nicely/smoothly, I've created a Win10 VM installation that I would like to use as home node, but now I've a 'Inception' kind of connections going on, I need to open OS installation on other node to be able to access Win10 VM installation using VNC/RDP.

Actually it's not an issue having enough nodes at home to do that but I would love to access this Win10 VM installation from the FreeNas startup console (see image), any way to achieve that? Should be something like ThinClient accessing Citrix environment.

console1a.png

Fulatins

Cadet
Ok, made a schema on paper and now I see how crazy this question is! Any ideas are welcome.

schema.jpg

Evertb1

Guru
I have gone several times over your question but I am not sure what you want to do. If you want to have a Windows desktop session on your VM you wil not get that from the FreeNAS console.
I have an ESXi server running with several Windows VM's. I use RDP to enter them from my Windows 10 workstation. RDP is rather tightly bound to the Windows platform (at least if we talk about the RDP server). RDP asks for a graphical environment to run the client software. A build in RDP client is available in Windows but there are also clients for Linux and Mac.

VNC is a bit more platform independent but you still need to run a server on the remote machine (vm or bare metal) and a client for that on a PC as far as I know.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Xorg isn't present in FreeNAS so you won't be seeing a graphical console there.

You'll need another system to act as a terminal where you can run RDP/VNC/something similar; this could be a Raspberry Pi, Windows/Linux thin client, etc.