A reboot after unticking "screen saver"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaimieV

Guru
I'd just set up syslog to point at another machine on the network, which turned out useful.

To test it, I thought I'd poke something inconsequential - so I chose unticking "Screen saver" and hit save.

The Save button in the UI said "please wait" with a spinner for a rather long time, and after a minute or so this rather surprising set of messages appeared in the remote host's syslog:

Dec 16 19:53:40 10.0.0.2 mountd[2758]: can't delete exports for /: Device busy
Dec 16 19:55:22 10.0.0.2 notifier: shutdown: [pid 31424]
Dec 16 19:55:22 10.0.0.2 notifier: Shutdown NOW!
Dec 16 19:55:22 10.0.0.2 shutdown: reboot by root:
Dec 16 19:55:25 10.0.0.2 notifier: Shutdown NOW!
Dec 16 19:55:25 10.0.0.2 notifier: ^M
Dec 16 19:55:25 10.0.0.2 notifier: System shutdown time has arrived^G^G^M

Whaaaaat?

After waiting for the reboot, reticking Screen Saver and saving again takes a good 60 seconds or so, but eventually completes with "Advanced successfully updated.", as does repeating the original untick and save - and that causes no repeat reboot.

(blanking, saving, and re-adding the syslog IP address didn't cause a reboot either, btw. I'd made no other changes at all at the FreeNAS side).

System is 8.3.0 (edit: not p1 as previously stated), on an HP Microserver N36L, 5gig RAM, one RAIDZ1 pool of 4x2Tb.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. I was using 8.3.0 x64 and I checked the boxes to enable screen saver and powerd. After about a minute or so I wondered what was going on. Suddenly putty beeped and the system was going down for a reboot.

JaimieV

Guru
Whelp, sounds like a proper bug then, not a one-off. I'd better go work out how to log it.

/Edit: Just noticed as I was gathering info for the bug report that I'm on 8.3.0, not 8.3.0p1 after all. Release notes don't include this as one of the p1 fixes, but perhaps someone with p1 could test?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I could not replicate the problem on my system, not running p1. Maybe it is hardware specific if you both can reproduce it faithfully. Mine does take a considerable time before it says it's complete.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I can't reproduce the problem I had. :( I tried everything to trigger the reboot but it didn't want to do it. Oh well.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well, I can't reproduce the problem I had. :( I tried everything to trigger the reboot but it didn't want to do it. Oh well.
Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just means it's intermittent and tracking it down will take time. I'm still not sure why it takes so long to complete the save operation. That looks fishy to me and may be the smoking gun here.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just means it's intermittent and tracking it down will take time. I'm still not sure why it takes so long to complete the save operation. That looks fishy to me and nay be the smoking gun here.

I agree. One thing I do remember(doubt it helps) is that on my SSH login that I had running at the time of the reboot it said that 'root' had initiated the shutdown. I'm not sure any other user has the permission to initiate a reboot but I figured I'd include that tidbit if it helps.

I just found http://support.freenas.org/ticket/1956 for future reference if anyone looks at this thread.

JaimieV

Guru
Root also in my logs above. I've not been able to reproduce it either.

Thinking it may be something that happens just once per install, I did the same actions on my backup FreeNAS, also 8.3.0, same HP N36L, updated at the same time as the primary. No reboot there. Still takes a looooooong time to Save the change though.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I just encountered the issue again. I posted this in the ticket:

I just encountered this issue a few mins ago.. again.

I wrote 8.3.0-p1-x64 to a thumbdrive using the .img.xz file. I booted up the prospective FreeNAS server. After logging in I did the following in this order:

-Changed the admin password(and root password with the checkbox)
-Changed the admin First name and Last name to my first and last name.
-Created my RAIDZ3 zpool with 18 drives.
-In settings I changed the protocol to https, timezone to America/Chicago and clicked save.
-Relogged into FreeNAS since https is now used.
-Under advanced tab I checked "Enable screen saver", "Enable powerd", "Show console messages in the footer", "Show advanced fields by default" and "Enable autotune". Clicked save.

Then I went to my other screen and started doing some Googling. Next thing I know I hear a beep as my server restarts.

Access can be provided on request for the next day or two. I have made no other system changes at this time because of this outstanding ticket and I want to give whomever an opportunity to look at the issue before I make more changes.

I'm going to be in IRC on and off for a while if someone wants to find me there.

Edit: William answered the ticket before I could post this. He has figured out that Autotune is triggering the reboot. Ticket is still open, but I'm thinking a fix is coming...

JaimieV

Guru
I'm not wholly convinced. I ticked Autotune when I installed the 8.3.0 update, and it has been rebooted since.

Well, we'll see.

JaimieV

Guru
Thanks William! Didn't want to think you were keying off the wrong clues, nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.