9.2.0 x 64 hyper-v virtual disc query

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevermind

Cadet
Hi All

I wonder if somebody could point me in the right direction, this is just a test lab so no crucial data. got a hyper v server with 2 file servers I plan to cluster. got a third vm which is my freenas box, assigned to the freenas vm is 3 virtual hard drives, one for the os and the other two for each lun that will be attached to each node of the file cluster. im not sure if im missing a fundamental issue here but as below screenshot shows, freenas detects all 3 disks upon install and reads them correctly. however when I go into the web interface after installation to assign them to the appropriate luns only 1 disc shows up. am I being dense? thanks.

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

nevermind

Cadet
an update noticed I had a critical alarm which told me the multipart was not conifugred correctly i belive, I have not knowingly set any multipart up, following the link here i destroyed the multipart and then tried to recover the disk as detailed but it states it doesnt need recovering, restarted the freenas box in case it needed to detect the disk on startup. but still the same only 1 disk listed, does it need some sort of initialisation or format? thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
AFAIK Hyper-V does not support FreeBSD. I believe the last few people to try to use it had major problems that made it impossible for them to even experient in a VM.

nevermind

Cadet
ah rite. not sure then it seems to work fine within the hyper-v infrastructure. just the detection of this disc which isnt. regardless of whats its running on can you suggest anything for my predicament ? ran the commands below to show aviable hardware?

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# gpart show                                                   
=>      63  31457217  ada0  MBR  (15G)                                         
        63  1930257    1  freebsd  [active]  (942M)                         
  1930320        63        - free -  (31k)                                   
  1930383  1930257    2  freebsd  (942M)                                   
  3860640      3024    3  freebsd  (1.5M)                                   
  3863664    41328    4  freebsd  (20M)                                     
  3904992  27552288        - free -  (13G)                                   

=>      0  1930257  ada0s1  BSD  (942M)                                       
        0      16          - free -  (8.0k)                                   
      16  1930241      1  !0  (942M) 

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# camcontrol devlist                                           
<Virtual HD 1.1.0>                at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass0)       
<Virtual HD 1.1.0>                at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (ada1,pass1)       
<Msft Virtual CD/ROM 1.0>          at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (cd0,pass2)       
<Virtual HD 1.1.1>                at scbus1 target 1 lun 0 (ada2,pass3) 

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, don't use Hyper-V.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The problem is that it "seems" to work right, but if you dig deeper Hyper-V wasn't working properly. In short, unless something has changed to make my info out of date, Hyper-V doesn't support FreeBSD and there was never plans to add that support by Microsoft.

nevermind

Cadet
okkiieee... so it shouldnt work i get that but regardless of that, is there anything i have missed that i might need to do to "initialise" a disk if its been removed from a multipart. if you dont thats fine and ill have to give up, thanks alot.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not that I know of.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The main problem is we know it doesn't work. MS has made it clear they have no intention of providing proper support. So why anyone here would spend time trying to hack it to work is a little beyond me. People here want a reliable server they can use, not some 2-bit half a** job to "make it work". In short, everyone here knows to avoid it.

Now I realize you want to use it just as a test, but its one of those things that just hasn't work for people in the past, its not expected to ever be "well supported", so we just don't use it and nobody in their right mind is going to try to get it to work properly when you can't use it for real anyway. ;)

You can use a workstation type-2 hypervisor. Virtualbox and VMWare Workstation/Player both work very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.