9.1.1 - checksum errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

asw2012

Contributor
About 2 weeks ago, this started to happen (see pic). I've scrubbed the volumes, cleared the errors, this still comes back. Now, I would just try replacing the cable(s) but if this is happening to two drives at the same time, I really dont think it's a cable..... or BOTH hard drives are going out at the same time? What else could be causing this?

errors.jpg

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
So, there are quite a few things that could be the problem here.

If this is your build, from your old thread, then, just so you know, had you posted that proposed build TODAY, you have been advised against it, strongly...you would have an AMD-based non-server system, which is strongly discouraged, and you'd be running non-ECC RAM, which is also strongly discouraged. It does seem odd that two drives, simultaneously, starting showing the exact same number of checksum errors. I wonder if this is an over-under SATA connection on the mobo itself, and this is a pair of cables that somehow got fouled up? I'm shooting in the dark. It's just not a FreeNAS-grade setup. Anything could be wrong.

asw2012

Contributor
Thanks for the reply. Yes, that is the same build. It was the cables that went bad again. This was the 5th cable I've replaced. It was just coincidence that two went out at the same time.

I have been reading up on server grade hardware with ECC RAM. It's something I just might do because the information stored on this NAS is that important to me. If I replaced all the necessary supporting hardware, used the same USB bootable stick and slipped in the same drives.... would it be that simple?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
More or less, yes, it would be that simple. When the time comes, you'll be surprised how easy it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.