8K Video Editing Nas Hardware Requirements

vineesh

Dabbler
Perhaps it's only me. But I think it would make sense to do some more formal sizing. So far the requirements have been described in some level of detail. But it would be helpful to quantify what editing 8k videos directly on the NAS means in terms of required network bandwidth and latency, as well as the same for disks. My gut feeling is that spinning HDDs may not be sufficient.
Thank you, then I might settle down for what I am getting with this config.

Last edited:

ChrisRJ

Wizard
So, it seems a NAS with HDDs will never achieve the kind of throughput I need.
I haven't said that at all :smile: . Although my guess is that the number of spindles does not deliver the required number of IOPS. You can achieve a pretty high number of IOPS with spinning disks, but you need very many of them. This is how data center storage used to be many years ago. If you roughly get 300(?) IOPS from a single disk, and by that also from a mirror, you could certainly achieve more than 100k IOPS. But will need probably more than 7k disks (if I calculated correct in my head).

What I meant to convey was that you try to quantify what your use-case means in terms of required performance. Such a sizing is what you typically do (not only in the storage context), when it is not exactly clear what performance is required. Think like "someone scrubbing the timeline in a video needs a certain response time (typically milliseconds) from the storage system until the desired position in the file has been reached; from that point on a sequential read will occur that requires a bandwidth of 300 Mbit/s". Whether this is exactly what you need (esp. the 300 Mbit/s) I don't know (it's been decades that I did storage professionally). But hopefully I could bring the general idea across.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Thank you, then I might settle down for what I am getting with this config.
You could also think about something "two-tier". Have a few SSDs in TrueNAS against which people work (or have them work locally), and use the HDDs in RAIDZ2/3 as an archive.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
You could also think about something "two-tier". Have a few SSDs in TrueNAS against which people work (or have them work locally), and use the HDDs in RAIDZ2/3 as an archive.
That's what is likely the most cost-efficient option.

If the editing work is truly independent, then a local scratch DAS for each editor is yet another option. Thunderbolt 3/4 is very fast and several striped NVME sticks will do. Download the work, do the work, upload the result to the server when done for safekeeping. But that only works if each segment is independent and the folk are reliable with maintaining their work flows. A centralized SSD pool likely makes more sense even if that requires some careful network layout to keep cost to a minimum while maximizing performance.

vineesh

Dabbler
Yeah, it makes total sense. I might dedicate a pool for NVMe storage of 20TB(10x2tb in raidz1). Do you propose a certain NVMe for NAS usage, or consumer level NVMe is good enough for now (like WD black SN850).
Thunderbolt 3/4 is very fast and several striped NVME sticks will do.
Else will locally (on workstation) cache the file in a mezzanine format and do the Job.

Need to figure out what will be the throughput of NVMe pool.

vineesh

Dabbler
A centralized SSD pool likely makes more sense even if that requires some careful network layout to keep cost to a minimum while maximizing performance.
Do you have a tried and tested method for this? Thank you