860W for a NAS, help me decide please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabla

Cadet
Hi everybody,

I'm sorry for my english, it's not my first language.
I know that it sounds weird but I had to "transform" my gaming rig in a NAS until I got money to buy "real freenas hardware".

I removed the graphics card, put in some HDDs, and now I got a i7 4770k, 8 GB RAM, 5 HDDs and a Corsair AX860i PSU.
The system idles at 40-45W on Windows 10 desktop. My questions are:

1) I'm really scared about using Freenas without ECC, is it safe to run it on this "temporary build"? Will I get lower idle wattage?
2) Will I get a lower idle wattage if I replace the PSU with a Seasonic G-450? I'm asking this because even if I disable Turbo Boost and Hyperthreading from the BIOS I still get 40-45W.

Thanks

Last edited:

indy

Patron
Its not weird at all wishing to re-purpose "old" hardware... just not recommended.

Anyways your 860W PSU is 80plus Titanium rated, which doesnt exactly cover your idle wattage but should be at least indicative of reasonable efficiency.
Also 40W seems pretty good for a 5 disk system, even though you did not specify the disk model.
Long story short there is not much to be saved here imo.

Last edited:

Nabla

Cadet
Thank you for your answer.
The drives are:

- WD Blue 1 TB (this is where Windows is installed)
- 2x WD Green 1 TB
- 2x WD Red 3 TB

The motherboard is a Gigabyte H97n-Wifi.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Nabla

Cadet
Thank you for your help.

Why would you do that?
Because I wanted to try to get lower wattage since the CPU is overkill.

I know that an i7 it's not ideal for a NAS that only has to share files and be a web server and I know that I can't pretend a low power consumption with that, but I wanted get the lowest wattage I could.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Because I wanted to try to get lower wattage since the CPU is overkill.
My point is that it doesn't work. If it did, Intel would've have found a way to do so automatically and save power. 40-45W is spot on for modern hardware idling, on a small to medium-small server.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
For an Avoton c2550 with 5 drives there is an estimated 118W idle
Seems rather high. I get 40-50W on my servers, which is in line with what is typically seen.
so I have to be happy with my 40w, right?
Definitely not worth worrying about.

Nabla

Cadet
Thank you for your help.

As soon as I'm able to buy the right hardware for a freenas build I will post again my questions about that.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.