846TQ with non-SM motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVB

Contributor
I'm building an 846TQ with an Intel S2600CP motherboard. The MB, HBAs, everything except the power supplies came out of my Istar chassis where it worked just fine. Installed it into the 846TQ with the standard 900W redundant power supply, bought the approved wire adapter to hook up the header to non-supermicro motherboards so that the on/off switch works and the HD, nic, power etc lights come on. This is a brand new box, not new to me but new like never used before.

Plugging in power causes the power supply fans to start at a high speed and then drop down but they never turn off. I can turn on system power and everything boots up, drives are recognized and it is ready to roll just like you would expect. Turning it off does shut down the system except for the power supply fans that just stay on. I've disconnected everything and even with no power connectors attached to anything if you plug in the power supply it will just run. I let it run for an hour and it still didn't shut down. Power supply indicator LEDs are green when the system is turned on as they should be, but solid amber when system is powered down which indicates some error. All the Motherboard status indicators are green when the system is just plugged in but not powered up as they should be.

I don't have the SMbus (or maybe it is the PMbus) 5 pin, 4 wire connector that comes out of the power distribution module attached mainly because it isn't long enough to reach the motherboard connection. That could be the reason the PS fans run but I can't find anything that says so.

Any ideas out there in server builder land? For people running non SM boards in a TQ chassis (and I know there are a couple of you) do you/did you have an problems with power supply fans?

AVB

Contributor
It seems that from asking around another forum that the fans run at that speed all the time as long as the unit is plugged in. My Istar server didn't and neither did an old Norco I had so I wasn't expecting that. Just made a switchbox so now I'll have 2 things to turn on instead of one - I can live with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.