8 disk in RAIDZ2 (or 3) with or without vdevs?

First off, I want to thank this community for being so responsive and helpful as it has in my journey in becoming acquainted with TrueNAS. And, once again, I come asking for advice.

I currently have a RAIDZ2 volume with 4x 6TB drives. My setup serves principally as our Plex server with movies, pictures, home videos, and music. We do also use it as a backup machine for some of the other computers in the home. However, most of its workload is devoted to streaming Blu-Rays (which only demands at most 4 MBs per second). As such, I am not the most hungry for read/write performance but rather for reducing downtime in the event of a pool failure. All of our data is backed up to the Backblaze cloud so, a pool failure isn't going to ruin me. However, restoring all that data would definitely not be a very fun process.

I am soon going to rebuild the pool with 4 more drives for a total of 8. I am curious as to what the best options are when it comes to reducing the likelihood of a pool failure. From the reading I have been doing, I assume my best options are RAIDZ2 or RAIDZ3 or RAIDZ2 with multiple vdevs. When it comes to vdevs, would that just be two RAIDZ2 pools striped together? If I understand correctly, RAIDZ2 would get me the most storage but with the least amount of redundancy with RAIDZ3 coming next. But, if the probability of 3 or more drives simultaneously dying in a RAIDZ2 pool is mathematically low enough for most people to not have anxiety, I may just go with that setup. I'm just looking for some suggestions and pointers. Thanks!

NugentS

MVP
As you are not fussed about IO I would RAIDZ3 or RAIDZ2 the entire lot. Its not worth splitting 8 drives into multiple vdevs.
Once you get to 10-12 drives, consider more vdevs rather than wider vdevs, but until then a single vdev is fine.

I know that the difference between RAIDZ3 and RAIDZ2 is that the first has one extra redundant drive. But, in my case with 8x 6TB drives with quick SMART checks 3 times per month, monthly extended SMART checks, and biweekly scrubs, would RAIDZ3 actually offer that much of a reduction in the probability of pool failure over RAIDZ2?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I have been running RAIDZ2 on two systems for the last ten+ years and lost 6 drives (3 WD Red 4 TB CMR in 8 years, 3 Seagate Exos 16 TB in 1 year). But never more than one drive at a time. As long as you have a proper backup it basically comes down to your willingness to pay for an extra drive, in my personal opinion.

Thanks, ChrisRJ. Your post is what put my paranoia to bed

ChrisRJ

Wizard
When it comes to storage, you can't be too paranoid! Seriously. Since I lost a 42 MB (yes, megabytes) drive in 1990, I have spent an absurd amount of money on backup. I see it as an insurance. In hindsight, when everything went according to plan, it may seem like a superfluous expense. But you only know that later.

Oh I definitely agree. Having my stuff in the Backblaze cloud definitely keeps me from worrying about it too much. It’s just the restoration process that I don’t want to undergo. The thought of it is just terrible. At the same time, I don’t want to have more redundancy if the chances of that extra redundancy failing to protect me are less than once-in-a-lifetime low.

pschatz100

Guru
I would agree with @ChrisRJ that RaidZ2 should be sufficient - along with good backups. Don't forget that RaidZ is not a substitute for a good back up in any case.

I do not wait for disks to actually fail. If an older disk starts showing errors, I replace it. I'm definitely of the "better safe than sorry" mindset.