8.0.2 Doesn't survive second reboot after install

Status
Not open for further replies.

casm

Cadet
Found a bit of an odd problem last night with my FreeNAS 8.0.2 installation: if I do a clean install, import the old config, and let the box reboot itself, everything is fine. However, if I subsequently reboot the box (with or without changing the config), it hangs just past the bootloader. When I say 'hangs', I mean that it doesn't even get as far as starting the kernel: there are no boot messages.

System is a Dell somethingorother: P4HT, 1GB RAM. Installation disk is a Samsung 16GB SSD on ada0; the other three SATA slots contain 2TB Hitachi disks running in a zpool. Running FreeNAS-8.0.2-RELEASE-amd64; this was an upgrade from 8.0-RELEASE using the 'clean install and restore config' method.

Any ideas? Everything I've tried so far has just led to a hang on second boot.

casm

Cadet
I've now confirmed that this is also happening under the 32-bit version of 8.0.2, and whether I use an SSD or USB thumb drive makes no difference. One reboot and it won't come back up.

sysfu

Explorer
Bummer, just had the same issue after attempting a GUI upgrade from amd64 8.0.1 to 8.0.2 Release. Will report more info once I get a console attached.

sysfu

Explorer
I killed the power, pulled the box, attached a monitor and keyboard and booted it again. System booted up and finished upgrading the database, then rebooted and successfully completed that boot. Returned the box to its closet, booted again then went back to my workstation. I can now connect via ssh and the web interface, FreeNAS system is working fine again.

casm

Cadet
Just out of curiosity, can you give it a random reboot at some point and let me know what happens?

I've reinstalled mine again (8.0.2-amd64-release) and recreated the config by hand in case there was an import error that wasn't being reported that may have been causing the issue. I'd like to give it a reboot, but I really need it to stay up for about another 24 hours before I can do that; there's stuff that needs to move on and off of it before I can risk not having a working fileserver again.

casm

Cadet
Confirmed: same issue under a clean install of 8.0.2-amd64-release with a manually-recreated configuration. I'm not going to try this under x86; it's too critical for the fileserver to be up right now. If someone could look into this, it would be appreciated.

G

gcooper

What features did you have enabled before, and what features do you have enabled now? Also, did you enable the "serial console" in the GUI before?

Status
Not open for further replies.