.7.2 to V 8, I just need my data...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shackrock

Hey all. As I read in the "upgrade" docs, there is no way to upgrade from .7.2 to the new version 8. ... To me, this is a little ridiculous - What am I supposed to do with all my data? It can't use my DATA drives at all?

If this is the case, how does the community expect people to migrate data - only by buying the same number of hard drives and copying over before the upgrade??

Would love to hear other people's experience here...

B

Bohs Hansen

The reason is that the base system is completely different and many of the 0.7 features aren't finished for 8.x yet. There is planned to be made a migration option in 8.1, but now there are more important issues for the devs, like a stable base and file system.

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Roadmap_for_8.1

Brand

there is no way to upgrade from .7.2 to the new version 8. ... To me, this is a little ridiculous

No one is forcing you to upgrade. What features does FreeNAS 8.0.0 have that compels you to upgrade from the 7.2 version you are currently on? FreeNAS 8.0.0 is very light on features so there can't be many features that interest you. If you took the time to read the Roadmap you would see that an upgrade option will be offered in the 8.1 version.

If this is the case, how does the community expect people to migrate data - only by buying the same number of hard drives and copying over before the upgrade??

Since RAID is NOT a substitute for a backup it should be as simple as installing FreeNAS 8.0.0 and then copy the data from your backup.

B

Bohs Hansen

Oh, and for advice on how to migrate your data manually, you might want to provide some information on your current setup too. Hardware? Raid? ZFS? UFS? etc.

The more info you provide, the easier it is to help.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi shackrock,

There isn't any mechanism that will allow you to migrate your configuration over, as in you update to 8.X and all your settings, shares and whatnot are automatically brought over.

That said, assuming you are running ZFS, there's no reason you can't install 8 and simply import your filesystem & get to configuring the new version. Before you do that I would do a couple of things:

1) check the forums\irc channel for advice from one of the devs or somebody who has done this before

2) check that 8.X provides you with all the features you are using in 0.7

If you try, be sure you know what you are doing before you update your ZFS version, 0.7 support ZFS 14, while 8.X does ZFS 15....once you update the ZFS version there is no going back unless you have the data backed up!

-Will

S

shackrock

Thanks all, I never saw the road map... it looks to me that it's not time to switch yet, and I will wait for 8.1 (at least) before upgrading. At that time it looks like it will be automatically upgradable, AND with all the features I would need...

Status
Not open for further replies.