Coming from 7.2. Looking for some answers plz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinu

Dabbler
Hi all, I'm about to install FreeNAS 8.2.0 (coming from V7.2). I have always been hesitant to upgrade due to me reading that upgrading will result in data loss. But is it true that once I do a completely fresh install, that I can simply import my previous volumes and not lose anything (except for configurations of course)? I have 8 X 2TB and 2 X 3TB drives full of data (all single and not raided, I know that's dumb, and formatted using UFS), hence my hesitation.

Also, I'm having an issue with one of the drives where it shows more space used that is actually being used. The drive has 1.56TB of data but when accessing the WebGUI it says that it has 1.7tb used of the total 1.8tb. This only leaves 4.1gb free. I asked to make sure that if were to import the volume and run a fsck, that the problem will be fixed. Running it in 7.2 doesn't fix anything. And no, the .recycle folder was deleted, so it's not deleted files taking up space. Can someone please help me and provide some much needed answers? Thanks in advance. :)

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
FreeNAS 8 should be able to import non-RAID UFS volumes without trouble. No idea on the over-full drive though.

Shinu

Dabbler
Great to know ben. Thanks for the answer. I was considering deleting the '.snap' folder as browsing to it using Quixplorer showed a 'fsck_snapshot' file of 1.8tb; the size of the entire drive. Is it possible that deleting this could solve the problem or would removing it cause serious issues to the drive's data?

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
I would hesitate thrice before deleting a file that I don't know the function of. Hopefully someone else here has more ideas.

Shinu

Dabbler
Well I did a bit of research and didn't come across anything that said that deleting the snap file was dangerous. So I took the plunge and it fixed the problem! Not I can go ahead and upgrade to v8 with a sound mind. lol. Thanks again.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
Great to hear. Best of luck with the upgrade. Let us know how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.