6 year old Mac faster than new

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianwi

Guru
I've got a base model 27" iMac from 2011, that I upgrade the RAM to 32GB and stuck in a 512GB SSD. Still don't find it slow for doing anything I need.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Tell me again why anyone would own a Mac?

Tell me again why anyone would own a Mac?
Final cut pro? while I was forced to use it I really enjoyed it. I remember upgrading the old mac pro's to keep them in service longer, made me like apple more at the time.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Sorry, I should have added the :D to my post.......

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The trash cans have always been a joke. A workstation is, by necessity, larger and bulkier so that upgrades are possible with standard parts.

Stux

MVP
I have an upgraded Mac Pro 2009. It’s running with 64GB of 1866 DDR3, and dual hexacore hyperthreaded 3.8ghz Xeons (24 logical threads), PCIe SSD, dual Sata 3 controller etc.

The problem is that it’s limited by its PCIe2 bus.

We added an iMac Pro 10 core, 128GB/2TB.

They’re used for development. They allow doing Mac/iOS development, and al windows/Unix etc through multiple VMs. And we needed the iMac Pro because the poor old Mac Pro doesn’t support the modern drm

I think it's going to get to the point where people just start building Hacintosh's if they need the OS.

A modern dual CPU workstation board that can take the latest and greatest cpu with a ton of ram and support x16 graphics.

Apple has let the money get to their heads and it is a big reason why I stay away from the products. I learned to do stuff with an Apple II when I was in 4th grade. Just programming some graphics and such but the closed ecosystem doesn't cut it for me. And upgrades is the only way I can do stuff. That is a major reason why I run AMD. I can buy a board today and know it's probably going to be supported for another 4 years with more modern cpu's. And I live on used hardware most of the time. Plus what I don't use for myself I put together and give to other people with Linux installed. I plain couldn't afford it with a Mac.

I think it's going to get to the point where people just start building Hacintosh's if they need the OS.

The article commented briefly that apples current status with the mac pros has pushed people to hackintosh and I've had friends hunt the old mac pro cases to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.