5-Bay USB HDD Enclosure Only Detecting 1 Random HDD

Kaien111

Cadet
I have been trying to setup TrueNAS with an SFF Lenovo PC with a 5-Bay USB HDD Enclosure connected to it. There are 3 disks in the enclosure but TrueNAS can only detect 1 random HDD inside. There are no problem with the disks as Windows can detect all three drives when I plugged it into a Windows PC. I can also see the drives when I was setting up TrueNAS and when I ran the command camcontrol devlist but other two HDDS are not showing up under Storage > Disks.

Any ideas how to make this work? Or is it really not possible to get it working?

HarryMuscle

Contributor
It's a known issue with lots of USB enclosures. The GUI requires unique hard drive serial numbers to correctly display and keep track of the drives. Unfortunately many USB enclosures don't expose the serial numbers of the drives correctly, either picking just one and using it for all drives or using a hard coded serial number. From all the posts I've read so far there's not much that can be done other than to find another enclosure unless you want to do things via the command line and risk the GUI breaking things.

Thanks,
Harry

Etorix

Wizard
For the safety of your data, assume that there's no way to make it work and get an enclosure where all drives are properly wired as SATA/SAS. No USB.