4 Disk Twin VDev > 6 Disk RaidZ1

Marvin J

Cadet
Total TrueNAS newb here (6 months) looking for the best way to do this...

Currently I'm at 83% (5.87TiB) capacity. of a 4 disk twin Vdev Mirrors (4tb ea):
1649092939664.png

I want to convert to a 6 disk RaidZ1. Bumping my recommended capacity from 5.7Gb to 13.46Gb.

I have access to a remote (500+ Mbps speed) TrueNAS Server with plenty of storage, or a local TrueNAS server (old Dell Poweredge w/SAS drives only expandable to 4.1TB) and about 3.5 of local storage on my regular machine.

What options do I have to moving my content and/or keeping the datasets intact? Or is it best to just best to backup the data wherever I can and rebuild each dataset from scratch?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just a 'search the forums a bit further, you'll find the answer' lol

Thanks,
Marvin J

Etorix

Wizard
What options do I have to moving my content and/or keeping the datasets intact? Or is it best to just best to backup the data wherever I can and rebuild each dataset from scratch?
Backup, destroy, recreate and restore is the best option because it is the SOLE option.
You can add or detach members in a mirror vdevs, and also remove mirrors vdevs from a stripe (if space allows). Raidz# vdevs are immutable after creation: No extra drives, no less drives. And you cannot remove any data vdev in a pool which includes raidz vdevs.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just a 'search the forums a bit further, you'll find the answer' lol
You could indeed have found the answer by searching a bit. Try searching for "raid5 is dead", "raidz1 is dead", and/or "raidz1 is not safe" and decide whether you still want to proceed with a raidz1 of 4 TB drives, or if you add one or two more drives and go for safer raidz2.
Irrespective of the choice, always have a backup!