Status
Not open for further replies.

TinTIn

Contributor
When I create a share on FreeNAS 9.3 STABLE and offer it up CIFS I map to it via a Mac client and I can created and add files fine. However if I open up a word doc and make an edit and save it back to the share a Word Work File .tpm is created and doesn't ever go away. Every time I make another change another .tmp is created.

I know what your thinking why is he mapping a Win share from a Mac but the answer is most my users have Mac and Win so I figured over the share as CIFS and everyone can play nice.

I've different types of datasets ie. UNIX, MAC & WIN but as soon as I offer it up as a Win share this happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
In using smb with Yosemite and office 2011 and I don't get any tmp files s documents. My data sets are all Unix type. I'll keep playing around though and see if I can reproduce this. It had something to do with office and not FreeNAS most likely.

TinTIn

Contributor
Thanks. I've tried a few Macs and they produce the same result. I guess your permissions are UNIX also and then your offering up the CIFS share?

TinTIn

Contributor
It doesn't happen if I offer the share up AFP so it must be a FreeNAS thing.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So I can get a .tmp file by editing a word document then saving it. Here is what gets created after a couple edits. I have my umask for files over smb to be 0664.
Code:
-rw-rw-r--  1 user group 4.0K Feb 26 08:04 ._Test doc hello world.docx
-rw-rw-r--  1 user group  24K Feb 26 08:04 Test doc hello world.docx
-rw-rw-r--  1 user group 4.0K Feb 26 07:26 ._Word Work File L_1.tmp
-rw-rw-r--  1 user group  23K Feb 26 07:26 Word Work File L_1.tmp
-rw-rw-r--  1 user group 4.0K Feb 26 08:04 ._Word Work File L_3.tmp
-rw-rw-r--  1 user group  23K Feb 26 08:04 Word Work File L_3.tmp

TinTIn

Contributor
Thats it. Must be a way of stopping that right?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
MS Office behavior when editing files is to create .tmp files as you make edits / work on a file / do other crap. http://support2.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632

These are supposed to get deleted as you close your session, but obviously that isn't happening. This may be due to an underlying permissions issue.

I'd do the following:
1) Research optional windows and office hotfixes or patches that might apply. (this is a problem that creeps up periodically in MS products).
2) Narrow down if it's a permissions issue. Test "Force Group" and "Force User" share definition parameters. If using Unix permissions, set the group sticky bit on the folder you are sharing.
3) The fact that the file doesn't get deleted may indicate that file locks are not being properly released. Use smbstatus or "computer management" to verify that the file locks are being released. I've seen issues in the past with SMB2.02 (vista) connections inexplicably not properly generating oplocks. You can force a connection over SMB1 on the mac and try to reproduce the problem. Connect through finder using "CIFS" instead of "SMB" i.e. CIFS:\\Ip-address

Last edited:

TinTIn

Contributor
Thanks I'll give it a try. Doubt it's permissions unless someone else is able to get this working right with Yosemite and Office 2011?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thanks I'll give it a try. Doubt it's permissions unless someone else is able to get this working right with Yosemite and Office 2011?

I'd also try forcing the client to use SMB1 e.g. "cifs://ip-address/share" and try to reproduce the problem. Oplocks behave differently in an SMB2 connection. It may be left there because oplocks aren't being properly released.

TinTIn

Contributor
Ok. I've got SMB 3 enabled and Yosemite supports it out the box so I assume it starts with that unless told otherwise.

TinTIn

Contributor
I should have said the machine works fine with accessing another windows share not offered up by FreeNAS so doubt it's an MS issue either.

TinTIn

Contributor
I'll give it a try. Thanks.

TinTIn

Contributor
No joys I'm afraid. Tried SMB2 no good and mapping CIFS://etc still get the .tmp after edit and save. They say around even after reboot and appear on other machines mapped to the same dataset.

Status
Not open for further replies.