21.02-ALPHA.1 virsh commands fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

E2zin

Dabbler
Hello @waqarahmed, I thought it was already supported, but am very happy to hear it will be soon then.
As for the command, here's the result: {] (empty object)

Thanks for helping me figure it out :)

ornias

Wizard
I faced the same issue described above. I am a good example of those neophyte users that will get stuck on something and looks for solutions to understand what is happening and maybe do the wrong things.
Precisely, you would be amazed of the amount of users that read "Linux" or "Docker" and right away go off assuming they can use all their previous "Linux" and "docker" knowhow out of the box. Same goes for virsh.

It's an appliance, a relatively open one at that, but still an appliance BASED on those technologies.
If people want a frontend on default Linux, there is an awesome project for Ubuntu for example, that gets sponsored by 45Drives. Which Tom Lawrence recently made a youtube video about.

But I also agree that hiding this also removes useful features like virsh nodedev-list pci, which was in the official documentation until early 2020.
To be clear:
You are refering to "dev-notes" not the "Official documentation". The "dev notes" are what it says on the tin: "Notes by the developers during active development", which are mostly meant to give testers some guidelines to work with features that aren't fully finished yet. They are not "official documentation" and will change quite rapidly and significantly!

ornias

Wizard
@waqarahmed this is security by obscurity and users will always find a way to work around it.
This has nothing to do with "security", it's just making sure users don't use the CLI when the CLI features are tracked by the middleware (and thus changes will/might break on update or even reboot)

By using non-standard practices you are scaring away new users, existing linux administrators and companies who want to integrate your product in existing infra.
One of the core principles of TrueNAS is the fact it's an open(source) Appliance, not just an OS with an overlay. TrueNAS never supported integrating their products outside of their API and Middleware. Why? because they need to guarantee to the customers that said integrations would work.

Remember: The paying customers buy an applicance and iX provides enterprise level support for everything that is officially supported. By moving this they make extra clear that users are not supposed to be using these features/commands.

IMO keep the system as standard as possible and you will have less unnecessary overhead, unnecessary complexity and better maintainability.
If you want (mostly) stock linux with an overlay/webui, there are other (great!) project for that... :)

also integrates with other application e.g. virt-manager.
Which is definately going to cause a lot of users, a lot of trouble. NEVER use external managers on top of TrueNAS, unless you utilise the API or know very well what you're doing under the hood. Every change in the manager or TrueNAS might break a lot of things under the hood if you use external managers.

E2zin

Dabbler
Interesting @E2zin, can you please share a debug of the system?

I'm sorry I had tried to play with unmasking the libvirt (I think it was your suggestion somewhere), then I tried to mask it again and the GUI only showed ERROR as it could not communicate with it anymore. See, a neophyte breaking it up! :)

I reinstalled completely and reuploaded the config.

ornias

Wizard
I think it was your suggestion somewhere

I read back,it was not... it was @whiskerz007 his suggestion actually...

And don't worry about it too much, breaking things isn't due to you being a "neophyte", it's more like you made a choice to take a risk and it backfired on you. ;-)

E2zin

Dabbler
Thanks @ornias for your patience and explanations.

amezin

Cadet
When I tried TrueNAS SCALE 21.02, I had the same issue as @E2zin : empty PCI device list, empty output of `midclt call vm.device.passthrough_device_choices`. So I returned to TrueNAS Core, where PCI passthrough (Intel NIC) worked for me. Is this issue resolved now? Should I try SCALE 21.04?

E2zin

Dabbler
@amezin, I just updated to 21.04 and I can confirm it's not possible to select a specific PCI device from the list, in my case I could pass the GPU and HDMI audio device. I was able to boot and see the ubuntu boot screen come up on the connected screen. Sadly I could not progress further as all my USB ports are on the same IOMMU group and contains my boot-pool. So I'm now waiting on a PCIe USB card so I can finally connect to my VM.

Unless some people here know how I could pass a connected keyboard to the VM? I did not figure this out yet.

wahlstedtw

Cadet
I can understand the "need" to hide things so customers don't break them. However, moving/hiding them just alienates the community. If you had 100% feature parity with the underlying virsh commands, fine, but you don't. I understand that if i break something it's on me. any sysadmin worth his salt understands that. I was just looking for a way to enable hardware virtualization on my VM's.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I can understand the "need" to hide things so customers don't break them. However, moving/hiding them just alienates the community. If you had 100% feature parity with the underlying virsh commands, fine, but you don't. I understand that if i break something it's on me. any sysadmin worth his salt understands that. I was just looking for a way to enable hardware virtualization on my VM's.

Unfortunately, a decade of experience teaches that "I understand that if i break something it's on me" is not universally accepted. Were it universally accepted, then you would perhaps be correct.

As it stands, people often conveniently forget to mention the things that they've done which they don't feel should be relevant, but in fact are relevant, and speaking as someone who often ends up supporting this kind of thing on the forums, it can be very annoying. I'm just another random community member, and it can be a real waste of time when someone does this.

Part of the purpose of FreeNAS/TrueNAS is to act as an appliance, which means, you're not supposed to be tinkering under the hood. I'm really glad that you said that "I understand that if i break something it's on me", as it suggests you get that general point, but the flip side to that is that there's no obligation by the developers to give you an environment that you are used to or that works the way you want it to. Part of this should also be taking the environment as it is offered, and when you find that they've used pentalobe screws, you understand that to be a form of discouraging casual misadventures. No one's stopping you from doing what you need, it's just that you do actually have to work at it a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.