2022 FreeNAS Build for Personal Use

rolo928

Cadet
Hello there!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am looking to build a NAS primarily for personal use (store photos, files and videos). Secondary purpose will be to stream movies at home, and tertiary is to play and explore with different possibilities: video camera capture, home automation, etc. I would like something compact and that I can forget about.

Research:
Case: I am happy with this 6 drives and it is small. Although I originally wanted the U-NAS NSC-810A which allows for a micro-ATX but it is sold out and there is no announcement of it coming back into stock.
Mobo: This is the toughest search for a mini ITX. I really like the idea of IPMI and having 6 SATA. I see 1 SATA port is shared with the M.2 socket. This piece sets the tone for the entire build.
CPU: So far I want a CPU that can do ECC and is optimized for storage operations. Mainly pictures, home videos, etc. I want to be able to edit the home videos and play them. There are so many options here. I am looking at Xeon first, but I am open to an ix series that will do ECC and encode video.
RAM: I settled on 32 GB not doing anything too crazy. Picked the ECC RAM. Looking for what's best for NAS.
Expansion Card, m.2: found this, I think the mobo will only support 3 of the 4 m.2 slots. Or I can use a USB to m.2 adapter very cool. Or a card for only one M.2.
OS Storage: Use 1 m.2 slot for the OS. Should I mirror it. Seems like if it failed there would be no data loss, unless writing at the moment.
SLOG/L2ARC: SLOG seems to expensive for personal use. I'm under 64gb of ram so no L2ARC.
PSU: I calculated a total of 600w with an 80% load. I didn't go with seasonic bc the g-series was difficult to find.
HDD: I will have 6 4TB HD. I would want them to work in pairs and have 3 mirror the other 3 for redundancy. Not sure what ZFS raid that is. So usable 12 TB

Every time I think I figured a part out I have to readjust for a feature I need and missed. Writing this forced me to read the hardware guide which actually answered a LOT of my questions. Really good stuff in there. Any advice and thoughts are appreciated. The motherboard was the hardest part for me. Anything I can buy used I will.

Thank you all for your help,
Rolo

@rolo928

Welcome!

1. This is a big red flag for your second mobo link
PCH Built-in Storage​
- C236: 6x SATA3 6Gb/s (SATA0 share with M.2 connector), support RAID 0, 1, 5, 10

2. Also there are some red asterisks that may affect your CPU vs RAM selection
Supported Type​
- Dual Channel DDR4 memory technology
- Supports DDR4 2400*/2133/1866/1600 ECC/non-ECC** UDIMM memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 32 GB (2 x 16GB Dual Rank DIMMs)

*Only E3-1200 v6 CPUs can support DDR4 2400
**non-ECC UDIMM support Client OS only.

3. If it were me, I would look for a server case with hot swap drive bays and better cooling.

Last edited:

rolo928

Cadet
1. This is a big red flag for your second mobo link
Why is this a red flag? Will the mobo supporting RAID not give access to ZFS to do it's thing? I think the mini-itx form factor is really limiting me.

2. Also there are some red asterisks that may affect your CPU vs RAM selection
Yeah, I saw that I need to adjust for the new mobo I linked. Elvis you beat me to my own response this morning :D

3. If it were me, I would look for a server case with hot swap drive bays and better cooling.
I wish the U-NAS NSC-810A was in stock. I emailed them no response.

NugentS

MVP

the_jest

Explorer
I wish the U-NAS NSC-810A was in stock. I emailed them no response.
Coincidentally I've been looking for a very similar setup--in my case, a backup for home use, for which I want a very small form factor case with hot-swap bays, and don't need much power, so I was looking at the NSC-410--and I emailed U-NAS last Wednesday, and did get a response:
The arrival time has been delayed to June. It took us a while to find a good shipping courier a the surging oil price and the Covid wave in China tremendously increased the shipping cost. Once the shipment arrives, we will post a notice at our online store and send out a notification email to the U-NAS news subscribers as well.
I don't know what this means in practice, but it's more information for you….

rolo928

Cadet
@NugentS That is a good hot tip

@the_jest Oooooh! Very interesting. Yes that case would allow a micro ATX and hot-swappable drives. I can wait a couple of months, June will probably turn into July. thanks.