20-24 Bay Build, No Redundancy / RAID. Cheapest Way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbddpp

Explorer
Not sure anyone is still with me, but if I got some cheap hardware this black Friday and instead decided to build an i3 or i5 based ATX case with 10 or so drives, and then instead use this C2100 as an expansion (just parting out stuff like the memory or whatever else inside it that I no longer needed), is that a possible secondary use for this thing down the line?

bbddpp

Explorer
Makes sense. I think I'm going to try and power through with the 12 bays to start with, in the C2100 all self-contained, and hope I can make it last a while. If this thing had 24 bays on board I don't think I'd ever need anything else.

The thing only JUST shipped today, so sadly, 4 days from order until it went in the mail. No server joy for me until after the long Thanksgiving holiday. Sigh!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I don't see a practical way to turn the C2100 into a JBOD due to the power and fan control issue.

bbddpp

Explorer
I replied with more detail on the other thread, but the C2100 was a great solution for me and I appreciate all your help. While I'd have liked to go with more bays to start, I can cross the bridge of how to add a jbod to this system when the time comes and I outgrow the 12 bays. I'm upgrading to all 5 TB drives in there as I can afford them to take as much out of the 12 bays as I can.

I love the system so far, though I did experience an IO error today while copying media files over my Windows PC network to the FreeNAS box that was a bit disconcerting. I am worried it was a hardware failure in the controller as the drive is in good shape. I had to remove, reinsert, fsck and remount the drive to get it back to start the copy again. Not the best warm fuzzy from the box so I'm hoping it doesn't have anything going bad in there that would cause the drive to knock out. I had 3 other drives in the system and only this one failed but it was the drive getting files actively copied over to it.

If it happens again, maybe you guys can tell me what to look for, or if I need to approach them for any replacement parts (if there even is a warranty on this thing). I'm pretty sure it wasn't the drive that caused the IO error.

Stux

MVP
Did you burn in the drives?

bbddpp

Explorer
I did not. I will look into this. I was also wondering if an error on any of the 4x 8 GB ECC RAM sticks could cause this? Would running a memtest on this thing be a good idea?

Stux

MVP
Yes. You should follow the burnin procedures. With ECC memory you need to check the IPMI event log to see if any errors were corrected after your memtnesting

bbddpp

Explorer
Things are stable and working great now. I think the errors I was seeing were due to the fact that the drive I was copying from was a ddrescue image and some of the files it attempted to rebuild were so corrupt it just threw the drive into a tizzy.

I want to thank everyone who posted in this thread. I truly love the C2100. I still have a couple open bays after upgrading to larger drives. I'm going to look into snapraid as well. I will post my questions in the C2100 thread as a I have a few about the unit itself. For the $400 shipped I think it was a fantastic buy to get a nice solid server with bays. If this thing had 24 bays it would probably have been the last server I ever bought. So eventually I'll be looking for a cheap way to extend this to a JBOD to add more drives but I figure I've got a couple years (less if I add software RAID).

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all the assistance and I learned so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.