2 USB sticks (boot) 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazeStar

Patron
Hi,

Before upgrading to 9.3, I read that:
The new installer provides the option to select multiple devices, meaning that you can now mirror the boot device.

So I did a clean install, and when the installer asked for boot drives, I selected two USB sticks.

Then I imported my config.

And all is well.

But I don't see anything, anywhere about the two USB sticks, except when I go into:

System > Boot > Status

Then I see this:
http://cl.ly/image/0G3X2t2v2q0V

In the end, my question is: I just wanted to make sure that even though I imported a configuration which did not previously have mirrored USB sticks, they would still be mirrored.

From the posted snapshot, I guess it's still working! I just wanted confirmation.

Also, as it has happened to me previously so I want to make sure how to react, what if one of my sticks blows up?

Can I just reboot using the other stick by itself?

Thanks!

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Yes, the configuration import doesn't change anything to this ;)

If one of the sticks dies FreeNAS will send you an email (if it's properly configured of course) and once you've been informed you just need to replace the failed USB stick and let the boot pool resilver.

Yes, the boot pool will be in a degraded state but you'll still be able to boot, it's the whole purpose of mirroring the boot drive after all :)

BlazeStar

Patron
That's just awesome.

Yes email configuration is working, as this is my main way to monitor FreeNAS ;)

Thanks!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, you might not be able to boot immediately, but removing the faulty drive should solve that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.