1st Truenas Scale build on dell T430 + 2xeon e5-2630L v4

mauhigh

Cadet
Hi all, this is my 1st TrueNas build I'm going to create as i've outgrown my synology (and it also broke during moving).

My goal is to have
* a NAS for all our personal data (2nd step in the 3 step backup solution)
* media server running plex
* run VMs on the truenas, including a gpu passthrough on windows for some applications that require it

Now I've found the following system for sale and from my looks on it it looks like it could satisfy this, however would love feedback on if this is compatible to create a Truenas Scale solution on it
I've gone through the hardware guide

2x INTEL Xeon E5-2630L v4 (10 Core 20 Threads) & 128GB DDR-4 Ram
With iDRAC 8 enterprise license.

T430
1 X DELL PERC H730 Raid controller
2 X DELL EMC 480GB SSD's
2 X INTEL DC S3510 120GB SSD's
16 X DELL HDD caddy's
8 X DEL HDD caddy fillers (dummy's)
1 X Nvidia Quadro m4000

I'll add my own HDD's to it

Thanks for the feedback!

firesyde424

Contributor
Hi all, this is my 1st TrueNas build I'm going to create as i've outgrown my synology (and it also broke during moving).

My goal is to have
* a NAS for all our personal data (2nd step in the 3 step backup solution)
* media server running plex
* run VMs on the truenas, including a gpu passthrough on windows for some applications that require it

Now I've found the following system for sale and from my looks on it it looks like it could satisfy this, however would love feedback on if this is compatible to create a Truenas Scale solution on it
I've gone through the hardware guide

2x INTEL Xeon E5-2630L v4 (10 Core 20 Threads) & 128GB DDR-4 Ram
With iDRAC 8 enterprise license.

T430
1 X DELL PERC H730 Raid controller
2 X DELL EMC 480GB SSD's
2 X INTEL DC S3510 120GB SSD's
16 X DELL HDD caddy's
8 X DEL HDD caddy fillers (dummy's)
1 X Nvidia Quadro m4000

I'll add my own HDD's to it

Thanks for the feedback!
As stated in the hardware guide, it's a big NO to the RAID controller. Don't use them for TrueNAS, not even in "passthrough" mode. For 13th gen Dell servers, you can get an HBA330, either mini or the PCIE version which is compatible with TrueNAS out of the box, no flashing required. They can be had, refurbished, for about $50 and new for around $100-$150. If that's not what you are after, you can get a PCIE version of the LSI 9300-8i, which the HBA330 is based on, for about the same money. Either way, stay away from RAID controllers.

I've not done any GPU passthrough stuff in TrueNAS, so I'll have to skip on that one. You may want to consider more RAM, especially depending on how many and what size of HDDs you are planning to add.

mauhigh

Cadet
Thanks, the controller was something i thought wouldn't be adequite, happy to hear the rest is ok.
And thanks for the suggestions, have already found a hba330 nearby

I think i'll start with the 128gb and go from there, can always expand!