1st time setup question

Braveheart777

Dabbler
Hi Experts,

This is my 1st TrueNAS build. I'm taking my time to learn and test before I migrate my data to the NAS. Can you help me determine which is the best way to setup this server?

Primary use: File storage

Hardware:
HP Z420 WorkStation 8-Core Xeon, 32GB ECC
LSI 6Gbps SAS HBA 9240-8i P20 IT Mode
Data: 5 HGST 4TB ALE641 Drives

Currently, I have the following setup:
OS
- 2 Intel SSD drives plugged into the motherboard's SATA 6gbps ports in a RAID 1 config. When I installed the TrueNAS OS, I selected both drives as targets for the install.
Data - The 5 data drives are plugged into the LSI controller in a RAIDZ2 profile with one drive as a hot spare. This leaves me with 3 extra connections off my LSI controller.

Question: Is the above setup the best/recommended way to go? Or, should I reinstall and use the following setup below?

All drives (SSD + Data) plugged into the LSI controller. Then choose 1 SSD or both SSD's during the install as OS targets. The 5 data drives still setup in a RAIDZ2 profile with one drive as a hot spare. This leaves me with 1 extra connection off my LSI controller.

Another Question: Or, is there another and/or better alternative setup I should consider?

Thanks for the advice!

GBillR

Contributor
The way you've done it is fine. It really makes no difference in your configuration which drives connect to which ports. In fact, you could have your data drives split between the SAS and the MB if you wanted to, but I would not recommend that in your case. I do not know what your plan is for this server, but my non-expert opinion is that you are wasting a drive by designating one as a hot spare. I would go with Z2 for the 5 drives, OR find a 6th drive and setup 3 mirrored vdevs. Depends on your use-case really. As long as you do regular scrubs and SMART tests, you should detect a failed or failing drive in time to source a replacement.

Just 1 minor clarification though... when you say RAID 1 for the boot drives, I assume you have done nothing to configure RAID with the MB ports in the bios right? Just to be clear: you should not setup any external RAID (hardware nor software) prior to install. TrueNAS and the underlying ZFS handle all the RAID, even on the boot drives. The installation routine will setup a mirror zfs boot pool if you select the 2 SSDs at the right point in the installation. I think that's what you are saying, but it is worth clarifying.

https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.37/

Braveheart777

Dabbler
The way you've done it is fine. It really makes no difference in your configuration which drives connect to which ports. In fact, you could have your data drives split between the SAS and the MB if you wanted to, but I would not recommend that in your case. I do not know what your plan is for this server, but my non-expert opinion is that you are wasting a drive by designating one as a hot spare. I would go with Z2 for the 5 drives, OR find a 6th drive and setup 3 mirrored vdevs. Depends on your use-case really. As long as you do regular scrubs and SMART tests, you should detect a failed or failing drive in time to source a replacement.

Just 1 minor clarification though... when you say RAID 1 for the boot drives, I assume you have done nothing to configure RAID with the MB ports in the bios right? Just to be clear: you should not setup any external RAID (hardware nor software) prior to install. TrueNAS and the underlying ZFS handle all the RAID, even on the boot drives. The installation routine will setup a mirror zfs boot pool if you select the 2 SSDs at the right point in the installation. I think that's what you are saying, but it is worth clarifying.

https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.37/

OK. Thanks for the tips!

Actually, I did use the MB BIOS RAID utility to setup those 2 boot drives before I installed. Since I have nothing there, I'll go back and re-install based on what you said.

The hot spare was because I travel for work and may not be home when a drive failed to replace quickly. In the enterprise, I've often seen it where when 1 drive goes, another soon follows. So, that's why I chose that. it is a lot of overhead though. I am reconsidering it.

GBillR

Contributor
The hot spare was because I travel for work
For what it's worth, I travel a fair amount myself and I also monitor a FreeNAS box that lives nowhere near me. I setup a script that sends me SMART and pool data via email every morning. I also conduct weekly scrubs of that pool and SMART tests of the disks just to be safe. There is a lot of redundancy with Z2 already, so unless you are truly out of the area for an extended time, your data "should" be safe. Just remember that Z2 (with or without a hot spare) does not replace a backup and recovery plan.

It's a personal decision obviously and what matters most is your use-case. Mission-critical or home-use.

Braveheart777

Dabbler
I setup a script that sends me SMART and pool data via email every morning.
Just remember that Z2 (with or without a hot spare) does not replace a backup and recovery plan.
It's a personal decision obviously and what matters most is your use-case. Mission-critical or home-use.

I'd be interested in that script.
It's home-use. Currently, I don't have that plan nailed down. I'm rebuilding from a house fire where I lost everything except my data. My drives were OK to be docked in a external dock and pull the data. That said, I also don't want commercial cloud backup for several concerns to include privacy. I'm still chewing on this one. I guess at a minimum, I could hang an external usb drive off the back, sync it regularly, and move it to a safe location.

I did blow away the hw raid config from my motherboard and re-installed TrueNAS on the 2 Intel ssd drives. I selected both of them when TrusNAS asked where to install. Also got a sweet deal on another 32gb ecc samsung memory. Running a memtest on it now.