1st FreeNAS build. Is FreeNAS for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakeles

Cadet
X10SLL-F-O
I 3 4130
8gb ecc

I've got FreeNAS 9.3 up and running and can access from Web gui but i'm having some serious reservations about using FreeNAS os.
I just dont understand the concepts in regards to the filesystems guys. I have a full 8tb NTFS with no understanding of how to get it to zfs-the guides talk about mounting it only.
The other concern i have is having to use command lines for processes.

Should i maybe investigate some server programs a little more on the beginners side? If so are there any that don't require command lines or cumbersome manuals?
I'm kind of bummed here guys. I wanted this to work out. But my only experience lies in windows - extensive windows experience. But not linux or fedora or anything else super command-liney

Maybe windows server?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You should start with Cyberjock's guide. Link is in my sig.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
At first I would respond you should work with what you are familiar with. But I came to FreeNAS with zero FreeBSD experience. In the time that I've been here I've learned enough that I would never go back to a Windows based file server.

Take a deep breath and do some research. Don't be afraid of the command line. Scour google for answers and ask questions when you get stuck and and you should be just fine.

nojohnny101

Wizard
And I'll add FreeNAS doesn't really expect you to use the CLI (nor does it frankly like you to) as the GUI is fairly solid as far as containing everything the above average person would need to setup, access and maintain their server.

So don't get the impression that you must use the CLI with FreeNAS. You most certainly do not.

wblock

Documentation Engineer

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
have a full 8tb NTFS with no understanding of how to get it to zfs-the guides talk about mounting it only.
The direct import process seems to be pretty unreliable, judging by other forum posts. You're probably better off attaching that drive to a Windows box and copying the data over the network. Note that you can't just attach an NTFS disk and use it natively with FreeNAS, you have to transfer the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.