1PB storage server using FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
whats the raid or hba card u are using for this monster?
The spec on Supermicro's site says it comes with, "2 Onboard Broadcom 3008 SAS3 controllers"...
The OP hasn't updated the thread in over a year and a half... I don't think he will...

skyyxy

Contributor
in my memory one mini sas port just can connect 24 disks even has expender chipset on the backpannel. so how 2ports can connect 90? may be im wrong?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
in my memory one mini sas port just can connect 24 disks even has expender chipset on the backpannel. so how 2ports can connect 90? may be im wrong?
Each of the 2 controllers will likely have 2 ports (possibly 4) and each port is 4 lanes. That should allow a 4 lane SAS cable to go to each backplane. Give or take... I have not looked up the documentation on this chassis but there is no requirement that an expander backplane must have 24 drive connections and it is certainly possible to cascade from one expander to another.
I know that the single LSI/Broadcom 2907-8i controller that I have in my 48 bay chassis has no trouble with running the 2 expander backplanes that can each accommodate 24 drives and the backplanes in my server can each have 2 out ports to connect to further SAS expander backplanes. A single SAS controller like mine can run 256 drives through a combination of SAS expander modules.

skyyxy

Contributor
Each of the 2 controllers will likely have 2 ports (possibly 4) and each port is 4 lanes. That should allow a 4 lane SAS cable to go to each backplane. Give or take... I have not looked up the documentation on this chassis but there is no requirement that an expander backplane must have 24 drive connections and it is certainly possible to cascade from one expander to another.
I know that the single LSI/Broadcom 2907-8i controller that I have in my 48 bay chassis has no trouble with running the 2 expander backplanes that can each accommodate 24 drives and the backplanes in my server can each have 2 out ports to connect to further SAS expander backplanes. A single SAS controller like mine can run 256 drives through a combination of SAS expander modules.
wow!aa thanks u so much with it. the mean is i also can bulid the 1 or more pb nas server with supermicro product. thats amazing. thanks again, because my second 24disks server almost full.

Status
Not open for further replies.