12.0U5.1

hescominsoon

Patron
just saw this popup in a mini i have at a client. decided to try it..despite no documentations available for it. Upon coming back up..SMB was inaccessible. Full stop. Nothing had changed in terms of the configuration otherwise. What did this .1 release supposedly fix? Glad the system has the boot revert system..:) back to the U5 update.

hescominsoon

Patron
i will try this on my systems here at my office...see if hte same problems arise there. If they do i'll file a jira report. I'll also reload .1 ont he mini that barfed and send a debug after hours.

afrosheen

Cadet
Check your pools. This update hosed my system also. It refused to mount the pool with pretty much everything including the system dataset in it.

I figured it out though. My system consists of 5 14tb drives in raidz1 configuration (so I lose one to parity). I also have 2 additional drives plugged in via USB for the read and write cache. They are nvme drives in enclosures. I added both of them to my primary pool to help with caching.

Upon reboot, the pool wouldn't mount. I nearly panicked but this is a newly built system, running reliably until it hit the Python bug last night and core dumped, killing the UI but continuing other services. I was happy to see a point update that appeared to address this but it blasted my pool offline.

When I issued the command "zfs mount", it gave me a list of available pools, showing my main pool twice; because the cache drives serve the pool, it saw two identically named pools. Looked like an overlooked bug to me. Unplugged the write cache and rebooted. Same problem, pool didn't mount. Unplugged the other one, zfs mounted the pool, voila. Just to fully test it, I rebooted again, and the pool mounted again, but was degraded until I kicked the last cache drive out of the pool. Now it's happy and it'll survive reboots and bring the pool online as expected.

In 7 years of running Freenas/Truenas, this is the first show stopping upgrade I have ever seen.

BanksiaBoy

Dabbler
just saw this popup in a mini i have at a client. decided to try it..despite no documentations available for it. Upon coming back up..SMB was inaccessible. Full stop. Nothing had changed in terms of the configuration otherwise. What did this .1 release supposedly fix? Glad the system has the boot revert system..:) back to the U5 update.
The release notes say:

TrueNAS "root" user account cannot be an SMB user.

Which may be a problem for some…

hescominsoon

Patron
root is not a user in my smb configuration...never did that in the first place for more than 10 years..seemed stupid to do from the getgo...:)