BUILD 1151 or 1150?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZodiacUHD

Patron
Hello there, i'm planning to upgrade my existing build and i see myself going with a 6 drives machine. I mainly use it as a media server with plex, sickrage, transmission and owncloud.

Right now i've got an i3 4130t which is doing just fine, altough i can't transcode 4k movies.(therefore the upgrade)

Since i've seen that the price difference is not too much between DDR3(ECC) and DDR4(ECC), i wanted to ask you guys what would be a better option.

This whould be the build i have in mind:

-Lian li PC-Q18 (which i own already)
-Be Quiet! System Power 7 300w (which i own already)
-6x WD WD30EFRX (3 of which i own already)
-ASROCK E3C236D2I or E3C226D2I
-Intel Xeon e3-1231v3 or Intel Xeon e3-1230v5
-2 x 8GB of ECC ram (depending by the motherboard-CPU combo i go for)

Thanks in advance!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
DDR3 vs DDR4 is an irrelevant issue.

Choose the platform and then get the appropriate RAM.

Haswell/Broadwell is limited to 8GB DIMMs, Skylake will work with 16GB DIMMs. The latter makes much more sense to me on a system with just two DIMM slots.

ZodiacUHD

Patron
Yeah it was my bad choosing this title. My point was asking if going for 1151 was better or just the same of 1150 in terms of compatibility with freenas.

Edit: changed the title
And checking on Asrock's site Memory QVL, the only 16GB stick of RAM supported on the motherboard is not ECC. I'd probably go for 2x8GB anyway on 1151 ( at least for now).

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There's very little difference between 1155, 1150, and 1151 except for the Skylake 64GB thing. Performance improvements from Sandy Bridge to Skylake are extremely modest (and that's being charitable). The 1155 stuff is vaguely more compatible in that all the features are solidly supported and have been for years, while 1150 and 1151 have support for "newer" things like USB3, which makes them somewhat "less" compatible in various minor ways. All of them can be made to work.

A great FreeNAS system can be had at a bargain price by getting an "old" 1155 based system, or even a 2011 system. The used E5-2670 chips flooding out of data centers right now for ~$60 when combined with something like an X9SRL are a powerhouse combination at a modest cost, and kick the crap out of a "modern" Skylake.

ZodiacUHD

Patron
There's very little difference between 1155, 1150, and 1151 except for the Skylake 64GB thing. Performance improvements from Sandy Bridge to Skylake are extremely modest (and that's being charitable). The 1155 stuff is vaguely more compatible in that all the features are solidly supported and have been for years, while 1150 and 1151 have support for "newer" things like USB3, which makes them somewhat "less" compatible in various minor ways. All of them can be made to work.

A great FreeNAS system can be had at a bargain price by getting an "old" 1155 based system, or even a 2011 system. The used E5-2670 chips flooding out of data centers right now for ~$60 when combined with something like an X9SRL are a powerhouse combination at a modest cost, and kick the crap out of a "modern" Skylake.

Thank you very much for the tip. It's amazing how cheap the E5-2670 actually are. I'd like to stick with an ITX motherboard tho... I'll probably just keep searching for a combo that fits that more than my wallet. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.