10gb NIC loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathgeek

Dabbler
Hi all:

I am having problems getting my 10gb NIC recognized by FreeNAS. I've scoured the forums and tried a number of solutions, so hope that there is something obvious that I'm missing which you can point out.

Some history - I have 2 servers, one running ESXI and Freenas and the other is a new build on which I will run Freenas exclusively. For the new build, I purchased a used SuperMicro board with a X8 series motherboard. I purchased an Intel X540-T2 Nic and was unsuccessful getting that to load, either using a standard install or with modifications to /boot/loader.conf to force the loading via if_ixgbe_load="YES". After a call to SuperMicro support I was convinced the motherboard was old and may have problems supporting the card. So I just took delivery of an X10SRL-F and a Chelsio T520-BT. And ... I still can't get it to work with either the Chelsio or Intel NICs.

I've tried to use lspci to see if the NICs are recognized, but they don't seem to be. Perhaps there is a PCI configuration problem in the BIOS that I need to change?

Clearly I must be missing something obvious. Any ideas/help would be much appreciated.

-Anand

Mathgeek

Dabbler
In case it is helpful to anyone, I had to disable the network stack in the bios. It is the last line that is hidden on the PCI configuration screen.

To add to the mystery, a new Chelsio NIC and a new Intel 540-T2 nic both fail to be recognized, but my trusty x520-T2 that is used in the other server is recognized just fine.

So in the space of a week that is a faulty motherboard and two NICs from ebay that don't work - not a good batting average for second hand NICs.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Have you tried booting the NIC cards in another machine?

Mathgeek

Dabbler
Yes, that is what I did this morning to confirm they weren't working. The results surprised me when the other server also wouldn't recognize them.

Status
Not open for further replies.