100TB Backup device advice

Dice

Wizard
This required that drive trays needed to be purchased separately and at a significant cost and time delay.
From a hobbyist perspective that is amazing :D

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
May I add that all Supermicro systems come with empty trays to mount standard drives and all screws included?

No, they don't pay me anything. :wink: That's what drove us away from Fujitsu (formerly Siemens). Nice servers but gold-pressed Latinum plated disk drives and no after-market empty trays. Absolutely ridiculous. What are standards like SAS and SATA for?

Arwen

MVP
This required that drive trays needed to be purchased separately and at a significant cost and time delay.
From a hobbyist perspective that is amazing :D
To be seriously fair, blanks are designed to block air flow so that the populated drives get all the air flow. (Or at least limit the blank drive slot(s) to no more air flow than if it was populated). On the other hand, drive trays are designed NOT to block air flow, though they may have a front face which sits in front of the drive.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
To be seriously fair, blanks are designed to block air flow so that the populated drives get all the air flow. (Or at least limit the blank drive slot(s) to no more air flow than if it was populated). On the other hand, drive trays are designed NOT to block air flow, though they may have a front face which sits in front of the drive.
That's why empty factory delivered Supermicro trays contain plastic disk drive dummies that block airflow.

Arwen

MVP
That's why empty factory delivered Supermicro trays contain plastic disk drive dummies that block airflow.
Yes, I have seen that too, drive trays filled with foam inserts that take up the same space as a drive. Thus, limiting the air flow to no more that what a real drive would allow. The foam is cheap enough to include. (But, perhaps not in the highly environmentally conscious world of today :-().

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
No foam, plastic mounted with screws. From the look and feel possibly ABS. But yes, more stuff going to waste.

Dice

Wizard
I own a SM box with such 'plastic tray hdd fakes' :)

The amazement was how the large vendor manage to segment the market even more, by causing pain if one does not choose to get the "drives at the same time"...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Nice servers but gold-pressed Latinum plated disk drives and no after-market empty trays.
Rule of Acquisition No. 3. At least the likes of HP and Dell have enough of a market to have a vaguely-healthy offering of empty trays between used, clones and extra shifts at the factory in Shenzhen.