10 of 60 new disks are invisible in GUI

jakubjb

Dabbler
FreeNAS version: FreeNAS-11.3-U5

Two FreeNAS chassis from Supermicro. Running FreeNAS for years now. 50 disks each. Literally twins from hardware and software perspective (my hardware collegues like to have even the same component firmware version and drivers).
Recently both been powered off, equipped with additional external SAS controller and got 60 disk JBOD (Supermicro, too).

Now one of them does not show disks da76-85 in GUI. I noticed it, when trying to create new pool on disks in JBOD.
Of course disks are reported by "camcontrol devlist" and visible in dmesg log.

The other one has no problem at all, pool created, working just fine.

I tried to restart middlewared, clear webbrowser cache, use MS Edge (vanilla, never used before). Nothing helps. Where to look next?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
First thing I would try: switch the JBODs and hosts. I suspect the problem to stick with the JBOD.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The gui should just be a reflection of camcontrol devlist, so checking that would rule out (or highlight) some kind of middleware problem.

jakubjb

Dabbler
@sretalla There's 50 disks in each of two chassis and 60 disks in each of two JBODs. So 110 disk in each set and - as I wrote initially - "camcontrol devlist" shows all of the 110 disks. Also GUI on one is fine, on the other one it lacks 10 disks.
@Patrick M. Hausen That's a simple and feasible test to perform. Thanks. I migth have falsely assume, thet both JBODs were tested with spare chassis. I need to recheck this with collegues. But still, "camcontrol devlist" shows them.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Also GUI on one is fine, on the other one it lacks 10 disks.
So you mentioned restarting the middleware on the one where the devlist is shorter in the GUI. How about dmesg on that box with a grep for the name of one of the missing drives? Or checking the middleware logs?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What kind of SAS controller is this? Missing drives is something I associate with improper use of a RAID controller instead of a true HBA.

jakubjb

Dabbler
So you mentioned restarting the middleware on the one where the devlist is shorter in the GUI. How about dmesg on that box with a grep for the name of one of the missing drives? Or checking the middleware logs?
dmesg shows the disks are found, can't find any problem there. middlewared logs... if I only new what to search for... scrolling them revealed nothing interesting, imo.

jakubjb

Dabbler
What kind of SAS controller is this? Missing drives is something I associate with improper use of a RAID controller instead of a true HBA.
Avago Technologies (LSI) SAS3008. We use them in 8 chassis and with 4 JBODs, now. IT/HBA mode.

Rand

Guru
Are those drives new?
Maybe an invalid partition layout on them preventing proper management...

jakubjb

Dabbler
Are those drives new?
Maybe an invalid partition layout on them preventing proper management...
New JBODs, new WDC 14 TB drives. My "remote hands" will be on-site today, we try some physical swapping of JBOD, disk, etc.. Maybe that shows something new.
The usual method, rebooting, is a no-go option for the moment ;-) Thanks for the hint with - maybe - reformatting them

jakubjb

Dabbler
Test results are worrying, at least.
So, we had zfs01-jbod01 and zfs02-jbod02 pairs. The first pair was showing a problem.
My collegue hot-swapped jbods to pair it crosswise: zfs01-jbod02 an zfs02-jbod01. There's no pool on them, btw and I was logging myself out closing web browser tab.
Suddenly all started to look the same in GUI and CLI. S o I asked to get back to initial cabling 1-1, 2-2.
Then it went weird.
Storage->Disks:
Zrzut ekranu 2021-02-17 113602.png
Pool creation wizard:
Zrzut ekranu 2021-02-17 113733.png
At least the everall disk count is ok here.

Athough I'm able to create the pool now, I'm rather about to schedule a maintenance window and test it after FreeNAS reboot, maybe fresh install. That last thing seemed to correct many problems in the past. I hope, the configuration import after fresh install will not transfer the weirdness.
Btw, from CLI perspective all still looks just fine. It's only the GUI quirks.

Last edited:

jakubjb

Dabbler
To let You know and close the case: reboot fixed it all. More reboots, pool creation, datasets creation, some checks and test - it looks fine now.
IT as usual: "Have You tried to turn it off and on again?" :rolleyes:
Anyway, thank You all for Your engagement.