10 disks: RaidZ2 x 2 (5 + 5) or RaidZ3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vooze

Dabbler
So I'm getting 10 disks, instead of my current 8. Since I'm gonna rebuild the array anyway, I might as well get some good ideas.

Currently running RaidZ2, but I value my data, so I'm thinking maybe Raidz2 x 2 or RaidZ3 this time.

All disks are 5 TB.

Looking at https://calomel.org/zfs_raid_speed_capacity.html it seems the performance from Raidz2 x 2 is not very great, compared to RAIDz3.. Is this not the whole story?

I'm virtualizing freenas from 2 x H200 in ESXi, so I can do 10Gbit or more, so performance is important for VMs :)

So what do you think? Is it worth it to "loose 1 disk" to performance?

gpsguy

If you are looking for performance with your VM's you would be better off by striping 5 mirrors.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
2x5 RAIDZ2 = 4 disks lost to parity, can lose at least 2 disks with no data loss (maybe as many as 4 if it's 2 from each of the 5), performance of 2 VDEVS
1x10 RAIDZ3 = 3 disks lost to parity, can lose any 3 disks (no matter which 3), performance of 1 VDEV (perhaps a bit better than 50% of the first option)
5x2 MIRROR = 5 disks lost to parity, can lose only 1 disk (although up to 5 can be lost as long as no 2 are in the same mirror), performance of 5 VDEVS... would be the winner on performance by a considerable margin.

vooze

Dabbler
I understand 5xmirror would be best performancewise. I'm more looking at 2 x Raidz2 or one raidz3. How much performance gain can I expect?

sretalla